Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Correct me if I'm wrong (as I don't [and won't] track my car), but isn't it a requirement to have a CAMS licence prior to undertaking track work, and doesn't such licence have associated insurance for any on-track incidents?

The days I've been doing at PI through Drive Events don't require a CAMS licence. You don't need an extinguisher either, just a helmet. However, they bill it as a social event where timing is not allowed. Club events with timing require a CAMS licence, in addition to a mounted extinguisher and helmet. I'm not personally sure if a CAMS licence grants associated track insurance, I doubt it given how cheap they are and how expensive track insurance must be.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
The days I've been doing at PI through Drive Events don't require a CAMS licence. You don't need an extinguisher either, just a helmet. However, they bill it as a social event where timing is not allowed. Club events with timing require a CAMS licence, in addition to a mounted extinguisher and helmet. I'm not personally sure if a CAMS licence grants associated track insurance, I doubt it given how cheap they are and how expensive track insurance must be.

Fair enough, I had a read of the CAMS website and it makes mention of injury and income insurance, but there is no direct reference to car insurance. As you say, it would more than likely be prohibitively expensive. Hats off to you guys who run the gauntlet..!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
When I used to do track days, which were club, timed events, we had to have a CAMS licence (along with helmet and extinguisher) however obtaining the CAMS licence then only involved paying a nominal fee to register your details, get a card that said CAMS licence and away you went. There was never any mention of any form of insurance.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Correct me if I'm wrong (as I don't [and won't] track my car), but isn't it a requirement to have a CAMS licence prior to undertaking track work, and doesn't such licence have associated insurance for any on-track incidents?
From old go cart days, you needed CAMS license to race but I don’t know/can’t remember what type of insurance if any is/was included.

As for track days, never been to one but I don’t think they are considered as racing, or that such events are even under CAMS control, so likely no CAMS license is needed. But not sure...

EternityDre should be able to clarify such issues since he went and played

(Edited to add: missed the responses. Hmm why didn’t my ipad show the earlier posts? Maybe that’s why Apple has release another update so quickly after the previous update...)

RTSV6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director build number 332..."CALDIR"
Hi

If in the state of Victoria and you go to the likes of Sandown or Phillip Island and just throw your car on the track for a couple of laps in a specific clubs or manufacturers track day more often than not you won't need a CAMS licence.

If you are going to the likes of Sandown or Phillip Island and are entered into a specific race in a particular class that has things like different classes for different horsepower levels and your position and time is recorded at the end of said race than this type of event usually always requires a CAMS licence.

The most obvious way to realise if a CAMS licence is needed is if somebody is in a car next to you and both of you are racing each other to the next corner to get there first then both of these drivers probably have a CAMS licence but if you are spread out over the track and just testing out what your car can do and others are doing the same then no CAMS licence may be required.

I am sure that CAMS have it detailed in better words as well.

Regards,

RTSV6UTE

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not a risk averse person by any means, but I just couldn't go to a track with my car (not that I have any desire to anyway), for either an 'informal' untimed run or a proper CAMS licenced event with absolutely no insurance cover. That's in no way criticism of anyone who does trackwork, but as seen in the above posts incidents happen far too easily and there's just too much at stake for me personally to ever consider it. I couldn't even back out of the driveway without comprehensive insurance. Do people generally take out 'track day insurance' for these events. I've done a quick google and it seems there are a few companies offering this option..?

Edit - it seems that most track day insurers only offer around $10k max coverage..not nearly enough to cover a totalled car. No thanks..

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I’m much like you but the number of people driving on public roads without any insurance is astounding. Oddly, many of these drive cars that should be junked while driving them as if they are entered at Bathurst.

Can’t fault those that do the correct thing and play on a track which is why I feel a little sad for them when the come adrift and smash their pride and joy. For those other morons that play on the roads, not so much.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I’m much like you but the number of people driving on public roads without any insurance is astounding.

I've long held the view that TPP insurance should be a compulsory minimum. What's also astounding is the number of people who confuse CTP with TPP insurance...i've pointed out the difference to quite a few who had zero idea how insurance works.

Can’t fault those that do the correct thing and play on a track which is why I feel a little sad for them when the come adrift and smash their pride and joy.

Absolutely I feel terrible for them, I couldn't imagine being in the shoes of that Megane owner above... It's a catch 22 though isn't it..you do the right thing but aren't covered if things go wrong OR you play on the road and 99% of the time, your claim would probably be successful (in the absence of irrefutable evidence you were driving like a complete tossbag)..in any case, neither scenario appeals to me personally.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've long held the view that TPP insurance should be a compulsory minimum. What's also astounding is the number of people who confuse CTP with TPP insurance...i've pointed out the difference to quite a few who had zero idea how insurance works.
Agreed TPP should be compulsory. As to people understanding insurance, that would require they read the policy they have purchased which most will not... that's why we don't have proper manuals for things we buy; most don't read it which is enough reason for the manufacturers to justify not needing it... Now information seems to be on facebook and youtube... Collectively the human race is suffeing revers darwinish :eek:
...It's a catch 22 though isn't it..you do the right thing but aren't covered if things go wrong OR you play on the road and 99% of the time, your claim would probably be successful (in the absence of irrefutable evidence you were driving like a complete tossbag)..in any case, neither scenario appeals to me personally.
Yeah but sadly insurance company's can't easily deny a claim for driving like a complete tossbag unless police charge them and they're convicted. So it's even worse as the tossbags almost always get away with it while the ones' doing things correctly must either pay $$$ for special limited race day coverage or carry the risk themselves. But i don't track or drive like a tossbag so i'm OK ;) Maybe one day i'll look at booking a track for a private session as it's tempting to see what the MSE can do... :D maybe not :oops: