Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

DMAC0320

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Motorsport Edition
There was a service bulletin regarding the batch of faulty rocker arms, tied to vehicle VIN number. LS3 engines with rocker arms within the batch range should have had them replaced at next service (if they didn't break before hand). Similar to the A/C firewall grommet and Magnum sill plate bulletins.
Ok thanks mate, I checked with Holden and they informed me there are no outstanding recalls against my vin so hopefully it’s all fine

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Not sure, but some of the last ones had 7 year factory warranty... not knowing that there wasn't going to be a factory to actually honour the warranties (other than in name only).

Mine will have 4 years left in October so I'm sure the warranty will be covered by GM within the next 5 years. (crosses fingers)

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
My MSE Warranty finished yesterday. It was one of the first ones built and to be delivered to a customer in South Australia.

ProfMopar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 Auto
Hi mate, haven’t been on for a while but wanted to see if you could help clarify what the rocker arm recall was all about as I have not heard anything about it? Is this something I should be addressing with Holden before my warranty expires? Also, I had issues with interior creaks etc but as mentioned earlier in this thread Holden applies some type of grease to all my door seals and windscreen etc and it really minimised the cabin noise. Also, I had to replace my brakes all the way around after 31k on the clock. Holden quoted me close to 4K but I got a mate to get parts at trade price from Sutton’s, discs and pads for all 4 cost me about 2600 in the end.
Looks like the rocker arm question has been answered.
Re: the rapid brake rotor wear: In engineering circles, we refer to materials like the MSE disc rotors as "compressed peanut butter". Given that your car must be ~2.5 to 3 years old, and it has done 31Kkm, if you went with Holden you're looking at $4000 (close to the quote I received last year - $3400), therefore, we're talking ~$1300 per 10,000km or $1300 per year servicing costs JUST ON BRAKES! By going aftermarket, you've reduced that number to ~$850. Obviously, these numbers do not include all the other servicing requirements and consumables, nor the "semi-consumables" like suspension components, water/power pumps etc.

Unacceptable in my books (and I have owned HSVs and FPVs which all went at least 100,000km on the rotors). Combined with a sporadic rough idle (undiagnosable according to Holden), ticking valvetrain (rocker arms had been replaced under warranty), glitchy IT with the emergency collision warning going off sporadically, and on empty roads (again, no problem according to Holden when they tested the system), ticking front wheel hubs - inconsistently, puncture repair done by dealer without my knowledge during a service (that is, they did it, and then concealed the fact), histrionic auto transmission on WOT launches, I got fed up, threw a hissy fit, and sold the car!

V8 TIL 98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MSE
Crikey - a bundle of problems that could await us.

The latest one I heard was the car just stops pulling under hard acceleration at about 137kmh and encounters a dead end for no apparent reason.

After stopping and switching off for a while, the issue goes away magically - waiting for it to subsequently reappear at some time down the track... WTF?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Crikey - a bundle of problems that could await us.

The latest one I heard was the car just stops pulling under hard acceleration at about 137kmh and encounters a dead end for no apparent reason.

After stopping and switching off for a while, the issue goes away magically - waiting for it to subsequently reappear at some time down the track... WTF?

That sounds like it's related to the MRC.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
How many special editions are now starting to finish their warranty period?
Mine is. I was offered another 4 years for $1,300. I chose to keep the cash.
Edit: I should add, knowing I have ACL on my side should I encounter any issues, helped greatly in making my decision

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@426Cuda, in other words Holden tried the “Harvey Normal extended warranty” ploy which you declined :p All hail ACL :cool:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
@426Cuda, in other words Holden tried the “Harvey Normal extended warranty” ploy which you declined :p All hail ACL :cool:
Actually I pushed hard for it, due to a nightmare delivery by a useless dealer in Adelaide. At the time Director buyers were receiving 7 year warranties due to the protector strip fiasco. That paled into insignificance compared to what I went through. I did end up with a free full detail, delivery freight and SE car cover though .

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A quick look at Carsales shows there are 12 MSE, 3 Directors, and 2 Magnums with less than 1,000km, some have never been registered. The warranty on these ‘brand new’ cars should be nearly expired, unless they got some sort of extended factory warranty rather than a third-party warranty.
I am curious, if I was to buy one of these cars (which I am not) which has been sitting for nearly 3 years unused, and a mechanical problem arises, what recourse would the new owner have, and with who ? Caveat emptor ?