Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden commodore Vf sv6 2015

Tobias828272819

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota, Land, Cruiser, Prado, 90
Hey guys I just wanted some information about the expenses around the Holden commodore Vf sv6 2015 like fuel and maintenance cost of the car.
This is the description of the car
2015 commodore Vf
Sv6 auto Lfx
XYZ Coilovers otr induction
120,000 klms log books full service history
Ssv wheels
had some minor suspension damage repaired have before pics and documents with all parts changed and repairs made from inspection

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Tyres you should be able to check from an online provider, you’d expect at least 40k kms a set … SSV-size tyres will cost more than SV6-size ones.
I don’t think SV6 would cost more than our V8 for maintenance, I’m paying about $500-ish for the yearly service or thereabouts and then maybe $150 to buy oil/filters in between.
I’ve not heard anyone say SV6 fuel economy is any worse than the published city/highway/average figures of 12.5/7/9 … what that costs yearly depends on your usage.

Oh, and drive the car before getting too excited about it, the OTR intake has no performance or economy effect but a bad one may be noisy.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
I drive my Dec 15 Build VF2 as a daily type car (As in everyday use, but dont commute to work with it) and I get about 11.5 around Adelaide (Always use 98). On the way highway, ive got it down to about 8ish With my bike carrier on the tow hitch, does 9.2ish

Service I just do myself. An investment in a 3 tonne low profile jack (Got my MechPro one on sale from Repco, its the same as Supercheap and likely a heap of others) and 4 2 Tonne axles stands has payed itself off many times over

Parts wise, mostly nothing but OEM touches the car, but some exceptions (NGK plugs and coils, Ryco Syntec Filters etc etc). A lot of my work ive done to it has been more so for my hobby and enjoyment vs actual wear (SS Brake upgrade, replaced suspension, LSD upgrade, OEM trans cooler etc)

Service wise, I just go with 7500km (Dont do Holdens 15000km, that's too long, 10K max) oil changes with either OEM filters but now using Ryco syntec and oil ive always used Penrite GF-S 5w30 oil. Got mine at 115KM, now done 151K km with no issues to report. The key here is to keep an eye on Repco, Supercheap etc and buy supplies when they are cheap. I get the 7L Oil on sale for about $75, and filter between $15-$20, and that's done generally twice a year. Other parts I shop around for the best price and sales (eBay, or Amazon in the US)

My concern would be the OTR. Frankly im very dubious of many Dyno videos showing SV6 tunes with them as the numbers vary widely, and there is a tonne of crap tunes out there. If it is not tuned and just bolted on, you'll loose a heap of power from stock. Frankly non OEM mods, I would be taking money off my offer.

Same with the Coilovers. Both those and OTR says to me it's likely a "Yeah Bud" driven car. Also many do the lowering on the cheap (RevNev has some great threads on how these things should be lowered properly). Knock money off the offer accordingly for the repaired damage, and absolutely check throughly all service history.

Finally, this is a buyers market. You should have plenty to choose from. The mods you listed would be instant money off my offer from my view, but if everything passes a pre-purchase inspection they are great cars if treated well

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Same with the Coilovers. Both those and OTR says to me it's likely a "Yeah Bud" driven car.
Bit of a "red flag" to me with an SV6, it's likely been owned and driven by a di&$head!
A dead stock one with a good service history is far more appealing.

My SV6 wagon was originally owned by GMH at the Elizabeth factory for 6 months and then sold to the guy I bought it from. With great pride he showed me the service book with every service and supplementary oil changes done at a Holden dealer. He maintained the car the best he knew how and was worthy of respect and confidence that the car is half decent.

Last edited:

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I drive my Dec 15 Build VF2 as a daily type car (As in everyday use, but dont commute to work with it) and I get about 11.5 around Adelaide (Always use 98). On the way highway, ive got it down to about 8ish With my bike carrier on the tow hitch, does 9.2ish

Service I just do myself. An investment in a 3 tonne low profile jack (Got my MechPro one on sale from Repco, its the same as Supercheap and likely a heap of others) and 4 2 Tonne axles stands has payed itself off many times over

Parts wise, mostly nothing but OEM touches the car, but some exceptions (NGK plugs and coils, Ryco Syntec Filters etc etc). A lot of my work ive done to it has been more so for my hobby and enjoyment vs actual wear (SS Brake upgrade, replaced suspension, LSD upgrade, OEM trans cooler etc)

Service wise, I just go with 7500km (Dont do Holdens 15000km, that's too long, 10K max) oil changes with either OEM filters but now using Ryco syntec and oil ive always used Penrite GF-S 5w30 oil. Got mine at 115KM, now done 151K km with no issues to report. The key here is to keep an eye on Repco, Supercheap etc and buy supplies when they are cheap. I get the 7L Oil on sale for about $75, and filter between $15-$20, and that's done generally twice a year. Other parts I shop around for the best price and sales (eBay, or Amazon in the US)

My concern would be the OTR. Frankly im very dubious of many Dyno videos showing SV6 tunes with them as the numbers vary widely, and there is a tonne of crap tunes out there. If it is not tuned and just bolted on, you'll loose a heap of power from stock. Frankly non OEM mods, I would be taking money off my offer.

Same with the Coilovers. Both those and OTR says to me it's likely a "Yeah Bud" driven car. Also many do the lowering on the cheap (RevNev has some great threads on how these things should be lowered properly). Knock money off the offer accordingly for the repaired damage, and absolutely check throughly all service history.

Finally, this is a buyers market. You should have plenty to choose from. The mods you listed would be instant money off my offer from my view, but if everything passes a pre-purchase inspection they are great cars if treated well
^^^ As above, Alloytec tuning (including LFX) is a task that only a few tuners know how to do properly. It’s not a job you can take to your average tuner and expect a good tune. Expect to pay big bucks for a good Alloytec tune, as your paying for the experience and time of a good tuner who knows the Alloytec inside and out

HIS VF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Holden SV6
Hey guys I just wanted some information about the expenses around the Holden commodore Vf sv6 2015 like fuel and maintenance cost of the car.
This is the description of the car
2015 commodore Vf
Sv6 auto Lfx
XYZ Coilovers otr induction
120,000 klms log books full service history
Ssv wheels
had some minor suspension damage repaired have before pics and documents with all parts changed and repairs made from inspection
Hi, so I have the vf series 1 2014 SV6.
I have done major aesthetic work to it and some mechanical stuff, OTR 2.25” exhaust with high flow cars, tuned to pull about 197kw. I’ve got a new water pump, all new spark plugs air filters etc…
My advice is to change your oil every 10,000km. It’s a must! And change your air filter too with each oil change.
If u maintain it, it will run for ever. I clean the OTR air filter myself and do all the servicing myself, except for the spark plugs as I don’t have the tool for it as it sits on a coil type of part.
Make sure it's got red coolant..
Give it an emissions / carbon test once a year, or two even. Dont use E10 fuel, that sh*t will stuff your engine, it’s not good / clean petrol. I use 98’ as that’s what they tuned it for. And it’s better for the engine - clean source of energy for that optimum performance. I’ve had mine since brand new, am still waiting to put in a bigger cam and extractors. (I have to have it custom made because of the single pipe ‍♂️) eventually I want to finish with either turbo or supercharged.. but with just a cam and what it already has I can get it up to 250kw or very close to it. ( The guys at SVS in Cairns will back me up on this ).
I’ve had plenty of time to play around with the car, and learned that for example a 2.5” exhaust is no good for an sv6. I messed up and bought a Manta 2.5” car back… it sounded like a wet fart. Like a duck … when u rev it and that sound just … too much airflow, the muffler guy told me to take it straight off and sell it. (I’m still stuck with it) so I put on a 2.25” Xforce, it’s the best thing for an sv6. It sounds great and gives great performance.
If you’re interested in more info u can reach me on insta under the name HIS VF.. or his_vf It’s my number plate.
And before anyone says why don’t you buy a v8, I already have one, and I ant to do something completely different for a change. Fords have their XR6 turbos. Holden has no stockturbo division . So I want to make one that will kick any ford’s a**
Jk I love fords too, it holdens more

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Actually Holden played briefly with a competitor to the XR6T with the supercharged GM3800-II ... but they knew where their bread was buttered & realised their V8's were the product people would pay the most for, so they never really did anything much with those supercharged V6's. From memory they weren't even intercooled ... in the late 90's! We know from the performance of those super ugly GNX things in the USA that the GM3800 (and hence GM3800-II even MORE so) is capable of heaps of power if force-fed correctly.

Saab & Opel also got reasonable power out of a turbo 2.8L older & less-efficient version of the VF's V6 ... at fairly low boost.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Actually Holden played briefly with a competitor to the XR6T with the supercharged GM3800-II ... but they knew where their bread was buttered & realised their V8's were the product people would pay the most for, so they never really did anything much with those supercharged V6's.
Ford had that 5 litre boat anchor thing in BA and BF compared with an LS1 was a joke!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Yeah whoever thought ”oh some part, any part, out of a Mustang is a good idea” probably needs psychotherapy.
Or, more likely after a couple of decades, needs to be broken out of psychotherapy …

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
^ Yeah whoever thought ”oh some part, any part, out of a Mustang is a good idea” probably needs psychotherapy.
Or, more likely after a couple of decades, needs to be broken out of psychotherapy …
I guess Ford did provide a Falcon performance car replacement with the Mustang at a reasonable price. Holden's effort with the Camaro wasn't close, duration or price wise.