Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Epica

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Viva, Barina, Captiva, Epica, all Daewoo rebadges nowadays.

Although, whilst having a dig at quality and reliabilty. Years ago you wouldn't consider buying a cheap Hyundai for those reasons. These days Hyundai are pumping out some decent quality product.

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
The reason we are seeing so many rebadged Daewoo's is purely excellent marketing from Holden.

Without stereotyping - cars like the Barina, Vectra, Viva etc are chicks cars. Face it, chicks prefer them, blokes prefer Commodores.

Another general statement which rings true in most circumstances - blokes care about the performance of their car, and not just the 0-100km/h time. Chicks don't - they care about the look, whether it has A/C, if it has a CD player, where the mirrors are, and the colour.

Holden is now able to offer chicks all the things they need / want in a car, without having to pay extra for a German engineered Barina, which while offering better performance, is practically useless as the target market simply doesn't care about German handling and performance

while you and me can see that the new cars are inferior to the old, the target market either don't see or simply don't care. Therefore Holden can continue selling what appears to be the same product, but at a much better profit.

However for the people who know something about cars, they have to provide australian / german / american built commodores, with more powerful engines, better suspension and quicker gearboxes, which is the VE Commodore

vy_storm

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I have an even better reason. Economics. Cheaper made cars, more profit/lower prices, less increase on newer models.

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
I have an even better reason. Economics. Cheaper made cars, more profit/lower prices, less increase on newer models.

Good point. Economics is all part of the marketing strategy.

Doesn't bother me - i wouldn't have ever bought a Barina / Viva / Vectra anyway. Actually the Vectra wasn't bad.

But just to prove that this theory does actually work - if chicks (again, speaking in generalities - i know there are many females on this site who don't fall into this stereotype!) actually cared about the quality of their cars, then Hyundai and Kia would've gone out of business a long time ago

vy_storm

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Like any global conglomerate, the accountants rule. While marketing plays a part, ultimately its the pen pushers upstairs that make sure the bottom line is protected.

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
Like any global conglomerate, the accountants rule. While marketing plays a part, ultimately its the pen pushers upstairs that make sure the bottom line is protected.

to a certain extent yes. the accountants will say "we need to make $x profit on product xyz" - its up to sales / marketing to get it done.

Accountants wouldn't know the difference between a German transmission and a Korean transmission except the price.

MarzVP

I now own a TARAGO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Tarago
I think it looks alright but i would rather pay a couple of grand extra and get a svz wagon.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Aw man, that looks awful. None of it flows or fits together. And 115kw from a 2.5l 6cyl? that's poor.

Clinster

Reaction score
Website
s2.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
It's a fair enough comment, the Torana was originally intended as a small-medium sized family car and evolved into the racing bred beasts we know like the SL/R 5000 and A9X.

It is soooo not a Torana!! The only vehicle i would accept as the new Torana would of been that Pink one TT36. That looked the part.

EPICA - Every Piece Is Coming Apart.

-UNKNOWN-

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VR S2 BT1 5 Speed, N13 Pulsar Vector
Not just an inline six, I think its a FF inline six...