Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Special Vehicles W427 launched

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
^^^ It does have Magnetic Ride Control Suspension, which very few other cars in the world have. But so does a GTS and Grange and Senator.

And its brakes ARE 380mm as well....front that is. Carbon Ceramic would be good though.

I completely agree with the panels though. Its about time HSV introduced some lightweight panels, it would do a world of good for the performance characteristics of their cars and seperate them substantially from the standard Commodore. I doubt it will be too long before we see it though, its becoming more and more common now days.

Same goes for the clutchless manual.

Last edited:

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
^^^ It does have Magnetic Ride Control Suspension, which very few other cars in the world have. But so does a GTS and Grange and Senator.

And its brakes ARE 380mm as well....front that is. Carbon Ceramic would be good though.

I completely agree with the panels though. Its about time HSV introduced some lightweight panels, it would do a world of good for the performance characteristics of their cars and seperate them substantially from the standard Commodore. I doubt it will be too long before we see it though, its becoming more and more common now days.

Same goes for the clutchless manual.

I suppose I should probably read the feature list of the w427 then :p

Maybe Holden could see it in their hearts and give the ppl factory Bi-Xenon headlights :yeah:

At least the w427 has a carbon fibre spoiler, they're nearly there lol

You look at cars like the BMW M5 and Mercedes E 63 AMG, which is the w427's international competition there is just no comparison. Fair enough Holden is a young company compared to bmw and merc but to for Holden to play with the big boys it needs to produce something a bit higher class, more refined, more sensible. The E series made a left a huge impression with the boys on top gear but the w427 is just a glorified e-series. It’s not a flagship of a car company that will continue for decades like many European cars have.

Holden have to get out of the mentality of putting bigger engines into cars. The m5 gets the same amount of power from a 5lt v10 as the w427 gets from a 7lt v8.

Mercedes E 63 AMG
Displacement 6,208
Rated output 378rwkw [514bhp]
Rated torque 630/5200 rpm

BMW M5
Cylinders/valves 10/4
Capacity in ccm 4,999
Stroke/bore in mm 75.2/92.0
Max. output in kW (PS) at 1/min 373 (507)/7,750
Max. torque in Nm at 1/min 520/6,100

W427
Capacity (cc) 7008
Power (DIN kW) 375kW* @ 6500rpm
Torque (DIN Nm) 640Nm* @ 5000rpm

Don’t get me wrong and I’ve said it b4 im glad Holden is stepping into this area with the w427. They are trying to send the signal to the international performance car market that we can make cars to, but I don’t know how they can justify the $155,000 price tag when there are far better things out on the market at present. If this car was released globally it would fail, it just wouldn’t sell, maybe in the states but europe would just laugh at it.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
ok the power difference isnt that bad between those 3 engines. the mercedes engine seems to have the same power/torque at similar RPM as the w427, and its only 0.8L in difference. the bmw engine is smaller, but makes much less torque at higher rpm

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
ok the power difference isnt that bad between those 3 engines. the mercedes engine seems to have the same power/torque at similar RPM as the w427, and its only 0.8L in difference. the bmw engine is smaller, but makes much less torque at higher rpm

erm, the mercedes is making 375 RWKW lol.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
The thing with HSV though, is they are only given commodores to work with at the end of the day. Im sure with a Merc or BMW, they could do a damn fine job like AMG do.

What HSV need, is a dedicated sports car. Not a commodore, but a car BUILT for what HSV stands for. A REAL sports car, not a family car in HSV dress clothes. But they won't get that unless Holden or GM built something for them to use.

They don't have access to the transmissions or engines that people in this thread seem to think they should be using. I.e. the clutchless manual, where in the GM empire can HSV source one from? Or a small high output V8? Don't blame HSV for working with all they have.

And personally, I don't see the capacity issue. Its cost effective. The Gen IV engines are good on fuel, in a car as heavy as a Commodore they have competitive fuel consumption to a lighter STI or Evo X with engines way smaller. They make the power, the fuel consumption (once tuned especially) is respectable for a high output engine, and they are VERY cheap to produce. 6 grand for an LS3 with 315kw is bloody incredible, small capacity high output engines like you find in the M5, or even in an FPV are VERY expensive in comparison.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
erm, the mercedes is making 375 RWKW lol.

erm, that would be a typo :p They are 375kw at the flywheel. Since when do Mercedes quote RWKW figures :p

2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG: 0-100km/h in 4.5s
Power 378kW @ 6800rpm

Torque 630Nm @ 5200rpm

Price: $238,956 RRP

MY07 BMW M5: 0-100km/h in 4.7s
Power 373kW @ 7750rpm

Torque 520Nm @ 6100rpm

Price: $241,816 RRP

2008 HSV W427:
Power 375kW @ 6500rpm

Torque 640Nm @ 5000rpm

Price: $155,500 RRP

Last edited:

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
what they need to do, is take a commodore, and give it to AMG. could get interesting

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
what they need to do, is take a commodore, and give it to AMG. could get interesting

The holden chassis and build would die.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Holden and Ford wouldnt disappear, they would simply have to make better quality cars for the same price tag. Heck if europe can make these cars at this price, why cant Australians? Our wage average isnt much different...
Holden and Ford wouldn't disappear, but Falcon (and later Commodore) would. Their sector of the car market is shrinking, and their competition would be cheaper by a few thousand dollars each. Falcon isn't exported anywhere (who knows why?) but the Falcon relies on sales numbers to make money. If their market share drops much more, Falcon will be replaced with European and American cars (Mondeo, Taurus etc). It's possible that the Falcon platform could be used in other countries but it wouldn't be the Falcon that Australia is used to. Holden would probably suffer the same fate, but they have exports to prop up sales for a few more years.

The luxury car tax is a joke, just as any tax is just because you can afford to pay for something. Any tax that works on how expensive something is should be removed, it serves no purpose except to milk money from those that can afford it.
The whole point of tax is to take money away from those who can afford it, and giv it to those who can't. I just think taxing one luxury but not another seems a little strange.