Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden V8 304 Gilmer kit with A/C & P/S !!!

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
Hey guys i bought a kit off ebay that was supposed to be a gilmer kit with a/c and p/s and it the dodgiest thing i have ever come accross.

HOLDEN V8 BILLET ALLOY GILMER KIT SUIT A/C AND P/S - eBay V8, Performance Parts, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-Oct-08 12:36:47 AEDST)

it is from sydnet speed supplies but thought i would give them a go. i got all the pully's and for the a/c one they just put in a extra p/s pulley. problems ??

1. The pullys are not machines properly and dont match up to the crank pulley.
2. The bolts supplied are not long enough to go through the 3 pullys to screw in.
3. The p/s still needs to be spaced out to run the v-belt along it.

im so ****ed off :(

P

Pav

Hmm, two words: Procomp Motorsport

But didn't it mention in the ad that you still need to space out your P/S and A/C anyway?

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
well yes but it didnt say anything that you had to supply your own bolts cos the ones they supply are the wrong size, or that the pullys dont fit in the crank pulley perfectly. ****en cheap **** :(

P

Pav

Well yeah, now you know not to buy from Procomp, at least it was only a belt drive, better than buying one of their stroker kits or something and then screwing up your motor aye.

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
true, guess it wont cost all that much to fix it up, machine out the crank a lil, put a spacer for the p/s, get some longer bolts. Doesn anyone know what thread pattern and size i would need ? obviously i know the length and will post a how to for future people...

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
Oh and any suggestions on what to use to space out the p/s ?

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
I just chucked a few normal washers behind the power steering pump bracket to space it out.

I used some nuts to space mine out, but the idea is the same as Wagon_Wheels. Make sure you get your P/S pump square or else your belt will squeal and carry-on a bit. You will also need longer P/S mount bolts.

With the bolts, just take them to a bolt shop and get them to match the thread pitch/diametre for you.

For the A/C I considered machining the inside of the crank pulley (the bit closest to the timing cover) to accept the A/C pulley there instead of at the end of the crank. If you got this way you will also need a smaller width Gilmer belt. In the end though I just disconnected the A/C.
There really isn't enough length in the A/C hoses to space it far enough forward to have it run from the front of the crank pulley

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I've got mine running with P/S & A/C.
All you need to do is get a normal kit and then machine your old pully down to just the A/C
belt groove left. The gilmer pully should fit inside the old pully.
Easy as, the only hard part was to space out the P/S pump.
Had no probs since it got done about 6months ago.
Saves a lot of mucking around.

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
hey mate if possible could you please take a few pics of your setup and the pully you cut down ? i would really appreciate it :) Also do you know how far out you had to space the p/s one ? or what did you use to space it ?