Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Volt

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Considering that production of conventional oil peaked in 2006 it is wise to look at alternate fuel/engine systems. Yes is $60k but will come down over the years as the investment pays off and volumes increase. Remember $10k plasmas?

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Considering that production of conventional oil peaked in 2006 it is wise to look at alternate fuel/engine systems. Yes is $60k but will come down over the years as the investment pays off and volumes increase. Remember $10k plasmas?

Yeah and 6k LED tv's(I was stupid and bought one....now there 1-2k lol)

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeah and 6k LED tv's(I was stupid and bought one....now there 1-2k lol)

Not as bad as me - bought one of the very latest 20" LCD SD analogue tv's for $3300 in 2003, backlight broke in 2005 :spot on:

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67

I agree they're wise to "look at" but the point is more whether they're wise to purchase. I don't think any electric vehicle is a wise purchase yet (although it may be someday) since you're paying 40-60k for a car which is comparably equipped to a 20-30k car. The fuel saving is a nice touch but It doesn't come close to adding up. I'd easily buy a Corolla over a prius and pocket the difference

I think the Volt is the closes thing to a Viable alternative on the market right now. If your round trip to work is 50k's or so, you basically wouldn't use any fuel. But unlike full electric vehicles you can still have flexibility to drive further without looking for a powerpoint. The price is a downfall and it really needs cashed up environmental warriors looking for a warm and fuzzy feeling to start buying these like mad so They'll be affordable one day...

But even still plug in electric cars in Victoria and most of Aus rely on electricity produced from Coal. If 1M people came home from work on a Summer Arvo and plugged their cars in to charge our infrastructure wouldn't cope

So, its a step forward but very far from being viable in my opinion

Critical Jim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais, VL SL
One can dream:yeah:

A system like this would get rid of the lack of range, wouldn't have to fill up for years.

I'm not sold on the idea of battery powered cars yet, battery technology still isn't advanced enough and i would hate to see the carbon footprint of the manufacture of a Hybrid car over a conventional one.

That and our little golf diesel returns about 4.5-5.5L per 100klm.

Ford Nucleon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
One can dream:yeah:

A system like this would get rid of the lack of range, wouldn't have to fill up for years.

I'm not sold on the idea of battery powered cars yet, battery technology still isn't advanced enough and i would hate to see the carbon footprint of the manufacture of a Hybrid car over a conventional one.

That and our little golf diesel returns about 4.5-5.5L per 100klm.

Ford Nucleon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My 134 pack VK does 25mpg and feels like it will go 4eva

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Indeed; hybrid production foorprint is huge. I still believe that the best solution would be to have algal biofuels that can be transformed to petrol-like substances or diesel. I would agree in that a 4cyl diesel would be the most cost effective way to drive green with a vehicle that will have a low whole of life environmental footprint.

Energy production from coal is problematic and the requisite mining puts out 67% of our total CO2 emissions without even having an EV sector. (for comparison sake private road transport is 7%) Even better would be to kick our coal habit. Electric cars fuelled by renewables would be green heaven.....but so could be conventional cars fuelled by biofuels. The marketplace will ultimately sort the wheat from the chaff...

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
nice car they look nice but i prefer the Prius, cheaper, lighter and pretty reliable

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
nice car they look nice but i prefer the Prius, cheaper, lighter and pretty reliable

Ban!!! The Prius are terrible. Reliable? At 5 years they need new batteries, at a cost of 6k nzd!!! At 10 years needing batteries will write them off.

HoldenOn

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS equip, 4.2L stroker on its way.
Ban!!! The Prius are terrible. Reliable? At 5 years they need new batteries, at a cost of 6k nzd!!! At 10 years needing batteries will write them off.

My prius is six years old, haven't had a problem in the time I've had it and the battery pack is fine. Most reliable car I've ever owned, but I still wouldn't trust it when it's 10-15 years old, the battery's wont last forever.