Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Vs 304 Alternator?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is that the 2 pin plug that goes into the regulator on the alternator?

Yes, 1 wire goes to the dash light and the other wire goes to the positive terminal on the battery to "sense" the voltage. This wire runs via a fusible link.

Yeah I might pull it out and get a new one. Are alternators supposed to drop in voltage when they get warmer? I’ve noticed that with mine.

I wouldn't think so unless it's cooking hot but that would suggest there is something wrong too.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Yes, 1 wire goes to the dash light and the other wire goes to the positive terminal on the battery to "sense" the voltage. This wire runs via a fusible link.

I wouldn't think so unless it's cooking hot but that would suggest there is something wrong too.
Ahh yep I’m with you. Is it possible to put a higher voltage regulator? Just wondering as I’ve seen a few listings with people advertising a high output regulator.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Higher output yes, higher voltage (In a stock style alternator) no.

There are aftermarket alternators that put out a higher voltage or you can trick the stock alternator to put out a higher voltage by adding a diode into the battery sense wire. I've done a howto on this.

edit:
If everything is working correctly you should see 14.4 volts at the alternator once you get over about 1600rpm, if you are seeing significantly less then something isn't right.

This is the link to increase voltage output https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-increase-alternator-output-voltage.286600/ It's an interesting thread that leads to quite an in-depth discussion on the pro's and con's of running the cars electrical system above the standard voltage.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Higher output yes, higher voltage (In a stock style alternator) no.

There are aftermarket alternators that put out a higher voltage or you can trick the stock alternator to put out a higher voltage by adding a diode into the battery sense wire. I've done a howto on this.

edit:
If everything is working correctly you should see 14.4 volts at the alternator once you get over about 1600rpm, if you are seeing significantly less then something isn't right.

This is the link to increase voltage output https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-increase-alternator-output-voltage.286600/ It's an interesting thread that leads to quite an in-depth discussion on the pro's and con's of running the cars electrical system above the standard voltage.
Diode, or resistor? Diodes are designed to stop a current being able to go backwards. I've used a resistor before on a charge sense wire to increase voltage.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Diode, they stop the current one way and drop the voltage in the other direction. A resistor would work too.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Thanks guys. I have given it a go and it work mint! Charges at 14.6 on idle and with a full load it drops down to 13.8V. While I’ve got some people here in the discussion I think I may have found my heater problem. My car will not go much higher than C on the dash. I checked the thermostat and it’s a 71 degree Celsius opening temp. I think it might be too cold for the motor? Thanks guys

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Diode, they stop the current one way and drop the voltage in the other direction. A resistor would work too.
Just had a look at your instructions on another forum and it works perfect. Such an improvement from before. Will definitely get my mates to give it a go on their 5LTRS. Thanks mate

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just had a look at your instructions on another forum and it works perfect. Such an improvement from before. Will definitely get my mates to give it a go on their 5LTRS. Thanks mate
What forum is that?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys. I have given it a go and it work mint! Charges at 14.6 on idle and with a full load it drops down to 13.8V. While I’ve got some people here in the discussion I think I may have found my heater problem. My car will not go much higher than C on the dash. I checked the thermostat and it’s a 71 degree Celsius opening temp. I think it might be too cold for the motor? Thanks guys

That is probably a bit cool. OEM is 91°C IIRC, I've always run 82°C thermostats