Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

holden vs eletronic speedo

lyndon_breeze

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Holden VS Executive Sedan
I think the manual said the speed alerts are 2km/h difference... But all cars are different from small changes. My dash speedo is 2 k's out, and given that it's technically digital (read: not mechanical), then i would assume the speed alert is the same.

Unfortunately no to the pictures. If you know some basic electronics though, it's pretty simple. However, If you can't get yours to work by pressing the buttons, then this won't work. What the following instructions do is complete the circuit, as if you were holding down the buttons. The resistor is just to ditch that annoying led.
Try: Ignition off, hold down up and down, start car, release buttons.
That's how my mates worked, so that's what I'll base my explanation on.

The usual disclaimer. If you fry anything it's not my fault, and more importantly, not my problem. Read on at your own risk.

Pull the speed alert to bits, it's pretty clear how to do that after you've taken it out of the dash. At this point, we used some filler in the speaker, led and button holes, so we were left with a plain face and nothing but the backlit screen. You're left with a PCB with the screen/buttons/LED attached... locate the two buttons that had to be held down and either:
Cheap method: Glue/blutack/hold them down somehow... maybe make them press against the case when you put it back together.
Better method: Pull the push button switches off and solder the two pins together... or use a bit of wire. This is what we did.
You can just rip the center button (SET switch) out.
You have a few options from here. You could possibly just remove the LED, but i don't know if the circuit relies on it being in place... so we put a small resistor in there instead. Again, simple soldering. A standard diode would probably work too. Or, again highlighting a cheap method, you could just cover it up.

If you want to get semi complicated, you could wire up a switch that lives somewhere on your dash, which bridges those two buttons and swaps the LED to a resistor, so when you flick the switch before startup the digital speedo is displayed... And if you disengage the switch, and press the set button, it'll work like a normal speed alert. But if you really want to go to that much trouble, buy a newer commodore.

thanks mate, gonna grab spare one from the wreckers, and try to do it, so dont **** my one up

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
lettuce know how it goes

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
hey do all VR's have Fuel alert sound when ya got low petty?

cause mine hasnt gone off, but i dont think ive run it low enough...

Fonzie

Just lost the game.
Reaction score
Members Ride
-

Fuel alert? I've never heard of one in my VS or my mates VR... Can anyone confirm is existence or lack thereof?

lyndon_breeze

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Fuel alert? I've never heard of one in my VS or my mates VR... Can anyone confirm is existence or lack thereof?

mine makes one, car was on a hill, and that messes with my fuel gage, and yeah makes a noise

lyndon_breeze

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride

i got it, its now a permanant speedo, its so cool, just got one from wreckers, and played around with it and now its good

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
i got it, its now a permanant speedo, its so cool, just got one from wreckers, and played around with it and now its good

Did you do the hold down 3 buttons or did you solder contacts together etc???

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Would anyone happen to have a spare speed alert by chance? I'm looking for one in good condition and working order as mine current one has seen better days.

lyndon_breeze

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Would anyone happen to have a spare speed alert by chance? I'm looking for one in good condition and working order as mine current one has seen better days.

i do, but check ebay, or wrecking yards, i got 4 of em from a wrecking yard

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L