Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hole in intake manifold? (Vf sv6 series 2)

Nolzy420

Reaction score
Members Ride
Modded Vf sv6 series 2
So I’ve had cams and porting done, and my car idles too high (1000rmp) in drive, but lowers to 650-700 in park, neutral and reverse. I’ve had it tuned to be at 700 in drive and it won’t lower. I’ve checked for vacuum leaks with my tuner... and there was no sign. Here’s an imagine behind the throttle body inside the intake manifold. Is this hole looking thing factory? Feel like it could be a bolt that’s been pushed up when someone has tried breaking and removing the manifold, thus affecting the idle? What else could this problem be?

Attachments

• B4D89997-7403-49A2-A27C-CBBBF784F469.jpg
    B4D89997-7403-49A2-A27C-CBBBF784F469.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 223

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Well if you've had porting done (hmm or a cam installed), that manifold has come off ... I can see why you have suspicions, it could even have been dropped ...

However, I can't quite comprehend the context of that photo, but it would seem an odd way for a manifold to fail - if it's metal. I just assume it's aluminium, but it's not plastic is it?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Doubtful as it should do the same thing in every situation if it's a hole, interesting problem though so it almost sounds possibly tune related, like there's one wrong obscure parameter or option set somewhere. Who did you take it to for tuning? Revhigh in Hallam do a lot of work with these.

Nolzy420

Reaction score
Members Ride
Modded Vf sv6 series 2
Well if you've had porting done (hmm or a cam installed), that manifold has come off ... I can see why you have suspicions, it could even have been dropped ...

However, I can't quite comprehend the context of that photo, but it would seem an odd way for a manifold to fail - if it's metal. I just assume it's aluminium, but it's not plastic is it?
Yea man it’s plastic... new series 2 sv6s come with them

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The me that looks like it's left over from the plastic moulding process and it's caked with a bit of crusty oil from the PCV.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The me that looks like it's left over from the plastic moulding process and it's caked with a bit of crusty oil from the PCV.
Now you've said that, and knowing it's plastic, it could just be like one of those plastic dags you used to have to sand off the parts of your model planes where you twisted them off the little frames they came on.
But it does look a lot like the top of a bolt or screw, with the specs embossed (8.8 ?).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Nolzy420 have you compared that area of the inlet manifold to another V6?

I‘m with Forg, it looks like some old partly ground down bolt with 8.8 embossed on the head:eek:

Pity the following eBay seller doesn’t show a pic for the plastic manifold looking down past the throttle plate :p It’s for 3ltr V6 but supposedly fits 3.6 V6 and it’s not expensive to replace if you end up doing such...

Ps: as for moulding dags, I’d think the part would be blow moulded so any dags would be on the outside... but just guessing ;)

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
if the manifolds been off for porting, maybe its not sealing and has a leak from when it was installed, with it idling, use and buy some carby- injector cleaner in a spray can with a tube style nozzle fitted and spray some around the out side where the manifold bolts down on to the cylinder heads
if theirs a air leak the engine rpm from idle will increase,
its a cheap easy test you can do at home to test and make sure the intake manifold is sealing with no major air leaks from a bad install