Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holiday up to Townsville/Cairns, need ideas.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So basically in early March I am going on a holiday, now I've never been up North Queensland before, hell I've never been further than Caloundra, so I'm after some ideas.

Now I haven't got a huge amount of money to spend, but I can save up some more if I really like the idea. But really don't want to go over $1500

I'm not much of a sights/looks type person, I mainly like to do stuff, eg, driving for a few hours for a good lookout wouldn't really appeal to me. But stuff that is hands on really does appeal to me.

This is a basic run down of what I have planned so far.

Saturday 3rd, fly up to Townsville, get hotel room, watch first Cowboys game
Sunday 4th, go to aquarium or maritime museum, or both.
Monday 5th, rent car, go to Townsville zoo for half day, than drive up to Cairns, stopping at Ingham, Tully, Innisfail on the way.
Tuesday 6th, drive up to Port Douglas, mess around, come back to Cairns.
Wednesday 7th, go to Blazing Trails place, do half-day horse riding, half-day quad biking. Will have sore arse that night.
Thursday 8th, fly back to Townsville, where my brother will pick me up and take me into Greenvale for a week.

Now I was tossing up the idea of renting a 4x4 and doing the Bloomsfield Track (?), the coastal road from Cairns to Cooktown. Weather conditions permitting of course. Apparently the track is beautiful and not to hard for as 4x4 newb like myself, but can anyone comment on that?

Chuck up some ideas people, this will be my first real holiday in my life, so I want to make it memorable.

Robbo_c

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais II,2007 Calais V
Hey mate if you are going to Townsville you defiently have to go too magnetic island while you are there.Its a great place and theres lots of stuff to do over there.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Actually another question, and I'm probably being a bit paranoid here.

If I'm going to be driving a fair bit, would it be worthwhile getting my hands on a half-decent UHF CB radio?

dumpedvs

sheppa8
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S
Actually another question, and I'm probably being a bit paranoid here.

If I'm going to be driving a fair bit, would it be worthwhile getting my hands on a half-decent UHF CB radio?

If you are going to be 4x4 driving and going to places where there is no phone reception its probably a good idea, and to talk to other drivers if need be.
Or even better im pretty sure you can hire a sat phones, for a month at a time.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Port Douglas is a beautiful place. Also gives good access to the Low Isles and the Great Barrier Reef...both good for snorkelling or diving if you have your ticket.

A ride on the Kuranda railway is pretty good...especially if Barron Falls are flowing.

Cruising up around Cape Tribulation where the rainforest meets the sea.

White water rafting on the Tully River is also a great day out.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ohhh White Water Rafting, going to look at that now.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That looks pretty much like what I did...mind you it was nearly 20 years ago....but either way it was a reasonably small group, BBQ lunch on the side of the river etc all the same and plenty of wicked rapids. You will be pretty tired after that day.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
That looks pretty much like what I did...mind you it was nearly 20 years ago....but either way it was a reasonably small group, BBQ lunch on the side of the river etc all the same and plenty of wicked rapids. You will be pretty tired after that day.

But fun as hell?