Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] home made over head twin throttle body advice

danbotten

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive series II 3.8 ecotec
hows it going guys just looking to see if anyone can point me in the right direction i have a heap of intakes thottle bodys etc etc
im looking to build a custom twin overhead throttle body for my 3.8 ecotec im not looking for crazy power gains because from what ive heard it dosent make alot of diffrence i heard throttle response is improved alot though witch is more what im after plus i dont see many guys running this kind of set up iim sure theres a reason but if anyone nos of any threads taking you frew building this kind of manifold please feel free to send them would help me out alot the main things im looking for are:

list of all parts and matierials needed for this project
advantages and dis advantages of this set up
guide on building this manifold
and any other tips and advice you think would help me out

also i no this will not clear my bonnet ill be running compact pods frew my bonnet if this all gos well :)
cheers guys look forward to hearing you advice and ideas and please if you have nuthing nice to say kiindly keep it to your self :)

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Your going to need it tuned as you wont be able to run a maf with that setup up

Also having a pod sticking through your bonnet is a huge target in NSW and defectable so not sure how that would go

A good place to start might be with taking the lid of the plenum and modify that to take 2 throttlebodies and then once you've got all that figured out you can perfect the design a little

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I have a pic of the Buick with twins on top to the plenum. I'll throw some pics up later today.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
13c35e4c.jpg

Just run a set up like this..

Reson most don't do it as they think there is few gains and it's expensive.

Both statements are wrong, I bought mine from Mrc performance and got a real good tune and it felt like a new car after! And that was coming from a bigger tb and cai already.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
hows it going guys just looking to see if anyone can point me in the right direction i have a heap of intakes thottle bodys etc etc
im looking to build a custom twin overhead throttle body for my 3.8 ecotec im not looking for crazy power gains because from what ive heard it dosent make alot of diffrence i heard throttle response is improved alot though witch is more what im after plus i dont see many guys running this kind of set up iim sure theres a reason but if anyone nos of any threads taking you frew building this kind of manifold please feel free to send them would help me out alot the main things im looking for are:

list of all parts and matierials needed for this project
advantages and dis advantages of this set up
guide on building this manifold
and any other tips and advice you think would help me out

also i no this will not clear my bonnet ill be running compact pods frew my bonnet if this all gos well :)
cheers guys look forward to hearing you advice and ideas and please if you have nuthing nice to say kiindly keep it to your self :)

Hey mate, how many plenums and tbs do you have? :D

As stated the 2 on the lid need a mafless tune, but also having TBs out the bonnet without a scoop is illegal. Id suggest like Aj is posting up everywhere.. A MRC twin tb. I can write you up a guide on how to make one if you really like. Even then you will need a tune done as well. Send me a PM if you want some instructions and such, and if you have enough to make 2 ill take one lol (dont own a welder anymore)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

As stated the 2 on the lid need a mafless tune, but also having TBs out the bonnet without a scoop is illegal. Id suggest like Aj is posting up everywhere.. A MRC twin tb. I can write you up a guide on how to make one if you really like. Even then you will need a tune done as well. Send me a PM if you want some instructions and such, and if you have enough to make 2 ill take one lol (dont own a welder anymore)

Lol you live close enough to him you could probably just go round his place and help :p

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc

Ha ha it's funny I ran that set up for ages and now the big influx of threads relating to it!
What's with that? Was squat when I was researching..

Must look like I'm spamming-oops..

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Also the most common issue with DIY twin tbs is if the linkages aren't PERFECT u can't tune the mongrels to make any good power.
Other than that why not try I guess:)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
And im pretty sure you live in Caloundra west/Belvista.

Nope. But what's that got to do with it? Keen on an epic weekend with OP and myself :p?