Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home Security Cameras

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yeah, but have you looked at your third-party liability insurance cover if your dog bites some little oxygen thief while they're in the commission of B&Eing your property? It makes little difference anyway as dogs are easily baited and then you're completely defenceless, and even worse, clueless as to what's happening around your property.
Time to apply rule 303, then the tree mulcher...

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
POE means a number of trenches and cable runs for us. And therefore a cable installer so as to stay in line with insurance ‍♀️

We have big noisy dogs and bollards being put in. But cameras and tech falls to me and I was trying to steer away from running long lengths of cabling until the fibre was connected as FW is likely going to be awful for anything other than basic usage.

Back to researching and getting quotes from cable installers I guess at least with cable running everywhere I can put better APs in each out building for more wifi coverage

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I'm just exploring options now for running fibre optic links to remote APs as I'm looking at distances of up around 200m, which is more than I'd be comfortable with using copper.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that you leave the mainstream 'home user' market when you start playing with fibre networks and the price of everything goes through the roof!

1Gbps SFP ports are reasonably common (and therefore not too expensive), but if you want faster transfer speeds with SFP+, SFP28, and/or quad-architecture variants then the choices get fewer and the costs get outrageous.

The new 24 port PoE switch I'm looking at is over $6k by itself, but I'm going to cheat and use media converters at the other ends of the SFP links. I could use media converters at both ends, which brings the cost down to about $600 per fibre run, but the switch also has 4x SFP28 ports that I have plans for (including a bonded 50Gbps fibre link to my new NAS (that I don't have yet either)).

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Could always go for point to point WiFi bridge for the 200m run. Can get decent gig links for lowish cost.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
I had wifi cameras in the last house and they are a pain.

This house I did lots of research and ended up going with REOLINK NVR power over ethernet.
Bloody fantastic!!
I ran cables where I could and then had my sparky help for the hard stuff in the roof.
I run 2 NVRs. One in the shed and one in the house.

https://reolink.com/product/rlk8-410b4/

I run a TPLINK dual directional antenna between the shed and the house. This is amazing. Fast connection between the 2 buildings without fault. It pushes all the live footage to the house for me to view on the PC or phone. I then push backups up to onedrive for insurance.

https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/outdoor-ap-wcma/cpe210/

The camera system I picked was the cheap one and there are much better reolink cameras I can add now. Im running 10 cameras at the moment.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I had wifi cameras in the last house and they are a pain.

This house I did lots of research and ended up going with REOLINK NVR power over ethernet.
Bloody fantastic!!
I ran cables where I could and then had my sparky help for the hard stuff in the roof.
I run 2 NVRs. One in the shed and one in the house.

https://reolink.com/product/rlk8-410b4/

I run a TPLINK dual directional antenna between the shed and the house. This is amazing. Fast connection between the 2 buildings without fault. It pushes all the live footage to the house for me to view on the PC or phone. I then push backups up to onedrive for insurance.

https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/outdoor-ap-wcma/cpe210/

The camera system I picked was the cheap one and there are much better reolink cameras I can add now. Im running 10 cameras at the moment.

you think I could run omnidirectional antenna and do similar? I need to point it from house to 2 or 3 out buildings in different directions.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
Could always go for point to point WiFi bridge for the 200m run. Can get decent gig links for lowish cost.

I am trying to hard-wire everything just for the sake of reliability, not that I'm saying WiFi is unreliable, although less secure maybe. Once you have a WiFi AP anywhere on your LAN it opens up security holes anyway (but that's a topic for another day).

One of my 200m runs is just for a single camera out at the front gate. I could use a WiFi bridge as that'd be plenty of bandwidth for one camera, but I need to run power out there as well (don't want to rely on solar & batteries), so if I'm laying cable anyway I may as well run fibre networking at the same time.

My other 200m run is in the other direction over to a shed/workshop, but that will have multiple 8MP cameras so I need something with a little more bandwidth.

But yes, I have another link I may use a WiFi bridge for to another property (my old mum's, mainly so she has access to my Plex server and internet), that's about a kilometre or so away (line of sight). I'd love to use fibre for that run as well but it involves digging a trench across somebody else's land (and a public road) to get there!

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
you think I could run omnidirectional antenna and do similar? I need to point it from house to 2 or 3 out buildings in different directions.

I guess it depends on how "different" the directions are? The better WiFi bridges are pretty directional, more of a point-to-point deal.

You could just put an exterior WiFi whip antenna up on your roof, but you'd be broadcasting your LAN to everyone in the neighbourhood at the same time.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
Mmm im not sure with multi buildings. There are several different setup options and mine was a point to point.

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
When I setup the ethernet cables to the antenna outside my sparky told me there is a better cable I should have used for outdoor and water. Gel filled or something like that?