Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home spray job on my vr commodore

commoVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT
yep send me a pic with the rest of your shitbox going throu a car crusher, go chuck your hat away and keep your head in it.

thats funny, last time i checked (which wasnt long ago, just for confirmation) my car isn't actually classed as a shitbox, but call it what you want. and i can assure you that it is physically impossible to detach your head from your body and throw it away, i honestly dont know where your going with this comment. But quoted for wankerism anyway

oh, and ill send you the pic of the wiper blades because i know your keen.

Andrew1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore 1994

SHMKVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Andrew is one of the colours B147(lotus blue frost I think), if so use that. Its not the best colour out there but when its fresh it looks
really good,but mainly at night.By the way Ive seen worse first time backyarders.True it wont look like a $5000+ job , but at least your having
a go kid!!!!!
ITS BETTER TO TRY AND FAIL, THAN NOT TRY AT ALL

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Give him 3 months and he will have the whole car looking good I say. Hes listening, learning, and keen.

Its not a job you can actually fail at. All you can do is create delays. If it runs, rub them out again. If it peels, rub the peel off. Buy enough paint for a lot of coats, and you can just keep painting and rubbing back till you get good enough at it to get a good result. Its a learning curve, stick with it and you will get a nice paint job. Painting cars is something anyone can do, provided they are willing to put in the elbow grease and learn from their mistakes.

Painting cars without making mistakes is what people do a spraypainters trade for. It wouldnt be economic to rub a car back as many times as mine has been for instance... a professional cant afford to make as many mistakes as a backyarder.. the backyarder can just start again.

Andrew1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore 1994
Thanks guys I'm going to start on Friday Arvo buying my new back bumper and Hopefuly sanding most of it back befor I play my gran final for footy that night yew. Then on Saturday hopefully prime it all up ready for paint in a day or two. And I'm only doing half the car at the Moment. And shmkvs it's a Stratos blue cod is B094 that's what is on the car :)
Well hopefully have half the car done by the end of the weekend and hope to get some pics up :) cheers

Andrew1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore 1994
Not sure yet I havnt got the new paint I'm goon to go buy it tomorrow witch it better solid or base? And what's the difference between the two?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
most metallics are clear over base. two stages, spray the colour (base) then spray clear over the top. which is the mixing ratio i told you earlier.

solid colour is just a 1 step process. 2:1+10% to 30%. i find solid MUCH easier simply cos its just one stage. load the paint up, layer on layer on layer. ignore runs, ignore bugs landing in it, ignore peel, just load one layer on top of the next till you run out of paint. then spent the next few years blocking the dry paint and buffing for a perfect finish.

but i have always been able to get clear a lot flatter off the gun so there is less sanding later on. dunno why, its just always flowed better than solids. problem is its easy to stuff one stage, especially if you are doing the whole car all at once. all it takes is for you to brush the air hose on the fresh paint, or get a run in the clear (which sometimes takes the base with it) and you have to start all over again. bloody frustrating if you are just finishing the first coat of clear after doing the entire car.

Andrew1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore 1994
Okay yeah well the side panels I did I put 3 layers of paint then Sprayed a few layers of clear over the top with out rubing it back but that didn't have an amazing finsh. But i will still probably go that way as I like the look of the paint with the clear over the top. but it I can get a better finsh by doing it with solid?ill keen to try it that way. Do you still put a clear over it when you do this process ? Or just rub it back and give it a good cut and polish with the buff?