Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Homemade air duct (with pics)

casuarina26

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S1 A4
If you wanted to fork out a little money on a vx 's' front bumper you could use the fog light hole & no one would notice it. Anyway very neet mod

Optimus_Prime

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 Clubsport R8
HERE IS MY ATTEMPT!

I put in an extra 22.5° bend before the 90° so it fit with enough space away from the belts; I might have only had to do this because mines supercharged.

I put a 15° in the airbox just to direct the air towards the filter more and away from flowing straight out some pipes i put on the opposite side a while ago. This one isnt glued at all, just fixed with a small screw going through it and the pipe comming through from the outside of the airbox. The pipe on the ouside is fixed to the airbox with a small L-bracket.

The bottom intake is a 45° angle with a bit of mesh siliconed in, and an L-bracket screwed to it, with cable ties attached to that which holds it firmly in place; nice and level with the plastic guard in front of it.

I just sprayed it with black anti-glare paint... whether or not this will last im not sure... looks good for now though! Drives not much different, perhaps smoother on acceleration & gearchange, and the supercharger whine is alot more noticeable!

After going for a hoon i felt the filter to see if any water comes up into it (its raining here) and there was none, the filter was quite cold.

Not bad for around $10 & a few hours work. Cheers gaza1970 for the great idea!

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,795
  • inside1.jpg
    inside1.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,466
  • under1.jpg
    under1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,836
  • under2.jpg
    under2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,163
Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
That will work fine ;) Very neat too.

No excuse for everyone not to have one now.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
now ive gone the full way, it was my 18th birthday on the weekend so mum let me cut loose in rare spares with the credit card.

I got my self SS industions cold air intake. I also kept the homemade duct
Definatly a better acceleration but the instructions say it takes 100's of miles to get the computer to reach full potential.
rersetting the ecu on the driveway doesn't work because there is no air being forced into the engine.

Attachments

• IMGP0152ww.jpg
    IMGP0152ww.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 1,012
R

Roosterman

best aproach

Hi Gaza1970, Last month you listed that you did your own mod "Homemade air duct (with pics) ". Just wanted to know how it's going. Any drams and RU running the stock unit with your own mod?

I'm just tring to find out the best aproach as I had my stock unit knock off and need to either grab a stock unit or go down the big mouth / Augner route.

Lets know Roosterman. :bang:

Lish

Shake That
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Commodore
sounds like a wicked idea im gonna have a go doing it with my vx ss not much room so im gonna have to have a real good look got a fair idea where im gonna put it, see what i can come up with will keep all posted. better than forking out for a cold air intake which everyone sez is not that good for the ls1.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Very interesting, the rectangular downpipe adaptor would be the go for the input.

Steven M

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX BERLINA S2 V6
Just did mine today, cost me $28 from bunnings. Couldn't be bothered finding a bit of pipe from a building site. I also used a flush mount bit to screw onto the airbox and for the intake itself i used a 90mm round one with a guaze through it which is used on rainwater tanks to stop mozzies gettin in, this will stop the rocks i will have to post some pics but don't know how. can someone enlighten me!

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
take the pic, upload on to CP like normal.

When posting a new post go to additional optiona halfway down the screen and hit manage attachments.
Browse for pics and upload
easy as that