Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Homemade air duct (with pics)

vtsuperchargedboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT supercharged
does anyone know if insurance companies would frown upon this sort of mod?

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Well, fitted my 90mm "PVC-CAI" today. Took a bit of pi$$farting around to get it all in place, but everything has worked out tops! Started her up, and listend to that charger purr.......then took her for a spin and opended her up a bit, and it sounded much more bitey than before (SC). Also, much smoother power transistion. Finding myself having to check my speedo at earlier times than before :)

All in all, fanatastic mod, thanks heaps :)

VnWag

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Executive S2
Out of curiousity... what about those small fake air intakes on the front bumper of an Executive VX?

Is it possible to remove them, attach flexible tubing to both intakes, then attach them to the air box? (as a supplement to the main snorkel).

mate i was thinking of doing just that...have'nt had a ganda at the fake air intakes yet but i've been thinking of doing this job down the track...so if ya do it before i post up...let us know how ya go.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Hey Fellas
I know mine isn't a VT-VY but here is my VS using a 75mm VR inlet pipe as an extra CAI similar to what a lot of you have been doing with the 90mm PVC pipe.
I think using the VR pipe makes it look very factory fit.

Cheers Col.

Attachments

• GroupA inlet take 2 001.jpg
    GroupA inlet take 2 001.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 614
  • CAI thru airbox 003.jpg
    CAI thru airbox 003.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 655
  • GroupA inlet take 2 006.jpg
    GroupA inlet take 2 006.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 541

liam

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt wagon
dosnt the vr inlet move around a bit much?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
NO its clamped on to a 65mm Coupling (75mm O.D) that goes into the airbox pop rivetted and silicone in porition,plus it lines up with the curve in the trans cooler pipe and the stabilizer bar and just sits there perfectly still.

Attachments

• GroupA inlet take 2 002.jpg
    GroupA inlet take 2 002.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 534

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
NO its clamped on to a 65mm Coupling (75mm O.D) that goes into the airbox pop rivetted and silicone in porition,plus it lines up with the curve in the trans cooler pipe and the stabilizer bar and just sits there perfectly still.

Ha Ha , very clever.
Haven't seen that one beofre, put a patent on it before some one sells it on ebay for $100.00!
So i noticed a mesh screen in to bottom of the air box above the guard, do you have a hole there too?

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
yeah thats right, I have 3 entries into the air box.
The OTR snorkel and the VR pipe are probably enough but if I up the ante later then i'll know that there will be enough inlet air, just not sure whether the K&N panel filter will be though.
Have been thinking about using the Gen3 airbox turn sideways with a cutom bottm section as the panel filter in the VT-VY's is 30% bigger in area.
At the moment I'm happy with its performance and how it looks.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
I guess The GEN 3 will fit with a custom bottom end, but standard they are to high and will hit the bonnet.
With your set up i looks like there is more than enoough air getting to the filter, but the size of the filter and box would be maxed out. It would not be suprising that your current box could fully utilise all the available air