Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Horsepower capabilities of the ECOTEC v6

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Berlina, series 2, ecotec v6
thanks holden_4aw_lyfe will grat to be seen once its done, looks like it will be a lot of fun to drive :)

keep it coming people, the mor information i can get the more it helps me!

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
thanks one_and_only2004, really appreciate it. klampy, i might just take you up on that offer, but for now, in your oppinion what are the best mods to make power form the ECOTEC v6?

anyone elso with any information you think might help me, please feel free to reply :)

well in my particular application (puts on fire suit in preparation to get flamed)its a VS V6. iv put a tiny little turbo on my stock, but freshly rebuilt motor. its being built as a tow car for my drift car. all im doing is putting a T25 turbo on one bank of the engine (its not the "proper" way hence the fire suit) to run boost low in the rev range purely to help make torque for pulling power. in this application im not aiming for top high rev power but more drivability and hopefully to a degree, better fuel economy.

so my setup will run approx 10psi of boost from about 2200rpm up to about 3500-4000rpm and start running out of puff after that. i dont really want any more than that for need to go with bigger parts to reliably achieve more

so the car already has a 2.5 cat back exhaust, iv got a MACE 12mm manifold spacer to lengthen the runners to help with lower rev torque and response, and i plan on a custom plenum lid to *1 increase plenum volume and *2 shift the throttle body to the other side of the engine for shorter intake piping.

but in a stock application, first mods are usually i cold air intake (CAI) to improve the temp of the air = more oxygen =more bang = more power

a higher flow filter to decrease intake restriction

then the exhaust normally a 2.5 cat back, or full system with tuned length extractor pipes to help draw the exhaust out of the heads and also create a scavanging effect during cam overlap to help draw more air on the intake stroke also.

beyond that, theres cams to change the attitude of the power delivery, port work to speed up/or slow down and to increase/decrease air volume available to the cylinders.

bigger (stroked) crankshafts to create a larger capacity engine by increasing the swept arc of the crank therfore putting more torque into the turning force of the up and down motion of the pistons.(which is also increased)

im sure theres tons more but mechanically there the most common mods that people do.

vnrockit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais & vt acclaim
Simple turbo setups on ecotech we usually see 270-330 hp depending
On what other mods they have theses are cheap setups
On built motors around 400 for streetable setups

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok thanks guys, how about if i ask this question. how long are these motors reliable, if you were to use just bolt on mods or if you were to go for something more drasitc like turbo or spercharger steup. also does any of the drivline need upgrading, like the gearbox diff etc?

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
so what brand of parts would you say is quality and what brands are not as high quality?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
so what brand of parts would you say is quality and what brands are not as high quality?

The better brands would be the ones used in racing environments that have proved themselves time and time again!
Otherwise there is too many brands to list and everyone has there own opinion!

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
soooo people who hav modied thier cars please list the mods, and an approximate cost and approximate horsepower? it would be most appreciated

vy berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
anyone? doesent matter how small the mod, i just need as much info as possibe! dont be afraid to help me out!!!

XR6_661

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 BA XR6
It's all in the tune...

Filter, intake, 1-2kw if that? But a better feel.
Full exhaust...depends....5-10kw?
98ron...couple of killer wasps maybe
Cams...5kw? Not much of a gain for the price, but can change the car significantly depending on what cams you go with
Underdrives....2-3kw? But the motor will rev more freely.

From my experience with modding my XR6....it's more seat of the pants feel. Hell, my XR6 only netted 200rwhp AFTER a tune, headers, cat back, high flow cat, custom intake, filter, etc....a 5rwhp change from when it went in...BUT, the dyno curve told me everything I needed to know, the car was improved across the whole rev range...Kept up easily with my mates modified VL Turbo at the time, which was no slouch.