Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How accurate is the internet?

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Dude you're the one who needs to come down off your high horse.
I was just agreeing with Jester. Nothing targeted at you.

And if you learnt to read you'd see that I was saying I use wiki as a general outline also.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
No offence intended mate, your post just came up as I was posting mine and I reacted. I will point out that I was using also wiki as part of a general overview though, and Jesters comment was aimed at that as far as I can see, so I did take agreeing with him as something targeted at me. I apologise.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Wiki is a brilliant tool available to people on the Internet.. But what comes to mind is all those Abe Lincoln Internet memes.. Some are real quotes (very few), others (most) are made up.. It's a case of user beware and check the information is accurate.
A few mates are doctors and they would like to see wiki burned. Apparently such a readily available source of information is often incorrect where health issues are concerned.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Wiki is a brilliant tool available to people on the Internet.. But what comes to mind is all those Abe Lincoln Internet memes.. Some are real quotes (very few), others (most) are made up.. It's a case of user beware and check the information is accurate.
A few mates are doctors and they would like to see wiki burned. Apparently such a readily available source of information is often incorrect where health issues are concerned.

Absolutely. Wiki is an excellent source for a general overview, but lacks in accurate details. 'Ask the doctor' type websites are just plain dangerous. Aren't you glad they can't prescribe drugs lol

NaY 2.0

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Wikipedia provides the LOL's when it came to an economics Assessment task last year ( year 11 )

Had one kid hand in an essay that still had the hyperlinks in blue and underlined. Then Watching the teacher ask the kid "if i touch the link will it take me to another wikipedia page?" "ZERO"

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Is your thesis on the accuracy of the internet?

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Wikipedia provides the LOL's when it came to an economics Assessment task last year ( year 11 )

Had one kid hand in an essay that still had the hyperlinks in blue and underlined. Then Watching the teacher ask the kid "if i touch the link will it take me to another wikipedia page?" "ZERO"

Hey don't knock it.. Back in grade 11 physics I bit off more then I could chew by electing to do an assignment on the twins paradox..

I ended up just printing a web page (not wiki) and guillotining off the bottom of the page to get rid of the address..

:innocent:

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
I find the internet very accurate provided to research what youre looking for properly i.e, finding atleasy 5 different opinions and taking an average over them all. Hell, ive diagnosed so many medical conditions from the internet lol, gone to the doctor, said nothing about what i researched and told me exactly what my internet conclusion was lol.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Forgive me for typing too fast on my phone and forgetting a single letter "r".

I'm making the point that everyone knows that Wikipedia's database of info has inaccuracies throughout it, and for many years at that. So it isn't really a "fail"