Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how dangerous is 2k spraying in back yard

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
In an open carport .. its just acrylic but the project has kinda stalled at the moment while I keep changing my mind lol

Theres a few pics of different pearl and metallic effects I was playing with in my ride thread, plenty of before and afters. Tomorrow I'll be posting a bonnet I painted today in acrylic on my back patio after stripping back to metal with paint stripper. Its in Masai Red, a metallic burgundy type colour on a VR Acclaim.

Isocyanate paints contain cyanide, which apart from being poisonous to breathe, can even be absorbed through your skin. Plenty of people in here paint with it in their sheds, and get great results, but I get good results with acrylic, no safety equipment, and no fear of cyanide poisoning.

I havent tried ISO Free 2K, I might give some of that a go sometime soon.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Hey Daks, I use ISO Free clear all the time. It goes one nice and easy, flows out well, has exceptional gloss straight off the gun and doesn't kill you dead as a dodo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1,292
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 1,110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 1,017

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Cool mate, I will definitely give it a go. I've never argued that acrylic is better than 2k, my argument has always been that acrylic is better for the DIY sprayer.. I find it easy to use and at least it wont poison me (as much! ) as an ISO 2k.

Acrylic is incredibly fast drying too, better if you are painting in an open space as I do... less chance of crap getting into it.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
ISO Free 2k skins after about 5 minutes and is hard enough to handle after about an hour, re-assemble after 24 hours and full hardness in 7 days air drying. Blew over my plenum cover today. 14 degrees and wind as fk, crap blowing around everywhere. As you can see good gloss and no debri.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1,159

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
its looking like iso free 2k is the way to go.......any other people used the stuff, please give your experiences with it here.

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
is iso free 2k legal to spray without a booth and stuff?

Iso free 2k is like low tar cigarettes, its all bad for you...even acrylic will disagree with you if ur not using the right ppe.

I'd be interested to know if isocynates or whatever its called was the only bad thing in 2k...that is absorbed through the skin, as in is iso free 2k similarly hazardous to acrylic, or does it still have things that sink through your skin...?

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
is iso free 2k legal to spray without a booth and stuff?

Iso free 2k is like low tar cigarettes, its all bad for you...even acrylic will disagree with you if ur not using the right ppe.

I'd be interested to know if isocynates or whatever its called was the only bad thing in 2k...that is absorbed through the skin, as in is iso free 2k similarly hazardous to acrylic, or does it still have things that sink through your skin...?

ISO FREE is no more hazardous than acrylic. And those laws about 2k only apply to businesses. Not home use.

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
Good to know iso free 2k is on the same playing field as acrylic...

I dont have an intimate knowledge of the applicable laws, i had just always gathered that it is illegal to spray 2k in your backyard.

Even if its not illegal...it would be immoral to spray the stuff if kids playing in the backyard nextdoor are gonna be getting a lungfull of it.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
iso loaded stuff is only bad for you if you get it in your eyes, breath it in, get it on skin, or open cuts.

as long as you protect your lungs, eyes and skin you can spray anything you want anywhere you want. also as long as were here ill just add its bad etiquette to get overspray on your neighbors house, cars, wife, kids, or pets. so just keep that in mind...