Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i clean the engine and bay without damaging anything?

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
Hello everyone i have a WM Statesman l98 its got a couple of leaks put it over a vehicle inspection as i just brought it to work on and was only told has a few oil leaks so i want to clean the engine down and find out where they are coming from. I know i can de-grease it and wipe it but a bit time consuming to do that so i was wondering if its safe enough to use a low powered pressure washer with the electrics over the engine one thing i should mention it is duel fuel and the gas converter apparently leeks so would it wreck that if water spray or de-greaser spray got in it? obviously i would not put the pressure washer nozzle too close to the engine but can i do it at all?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Done it heaps of times.

1. Remove the engine covers.
2. I generally disconnect the battery, cover the alternator in a half arsed manner with a plastic bag. (make sure the car isn't hot).
3. Get a fine jet of water in there a bit to get leaves and sand, dirt etc out. Use the neighbours hose to save you some water.
4. Then degreaser. Be selective where. Dump heaps on the front cover area, and get under the car and do the Kframe at the back of the motor and around the sump.
5. With few cheap paint brushes from "Hammer Barn", give the engine bay a tickle with the degreaser still on there. Get under the car, (get wet ya sook) and repeat the agitation of the schmutz.
6. Hose off with a bit of pressure. (from the neighbour)
7. Then use an APC (all purpose cleaner) or at a stretch some sugar soap and use another brush around some of the areas hard to reach. Give the underside of the bonnet a scrub, the radiator support etc as well. Power steering reservoir.
8. Rinse off, then rinse the engine bay as well.
9. Remove the plastic bag from the alternator.
10. Then get a garden blower and blow out all the water from the crevices, and especially the various connectors. Let it all dry a bit.
11. Cover the windscreen with your boyfriend's underpants or an old Japanese silk bedsheet.
12. Then I use "Areospace 303" across the plastics, hoses etc. Spray the engine covers too.
13. Let it sit for an hour or so.
14. Have a beer.
15. Have another beer.
16. Then with some clean microfibre cloths from "Hammer Barn", give the bay a wipe down. Do the bonnet underside, the guards, booster etc.
17. Then I let it dry a bit more and reconnect the battery.
18. Watch TV.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Done it heaps of times.

1. Remove the engine covers.
2. I generally disconnect the battery, cover the alternator in a half arsed manner with a plastic bag. (make sure the car isn't hot).
3. Get a fine jet of water in there a bit to get leaves and sand, dirt etc out. Use the neighbours hose to save you some water.
4. Then degreaser. Be selective where. Dump heaps on the front cover area, and get under the car and do the Kframe at the back of the motor and around the sump.
5. With few cheap paint brushes from "Hammer Barn", give the engine bay a tickle with the degreaser still on there. Get under the car, (get wet ya sook) and repeat the agitation of the schmutz.
6. Hose off with a bit of pressure. (from the neighbour)
7. Then use an APC (all purpose cleaner) or at a stretch some sugar soap and use another brush around some of the areas hard to reach. Give the underside of the bonnet a scrub, the radiator support etc as well. Power steering reservoir.
8. Rinse off, then rinse the engine bay as well.
9. Remove the plastic bag from the alternator.
10. Then get a garden blower and blow out all the water from the crevices, and especially the various connectors. Let it all dry a bit.
11. Cover the windscreen with your boyfriend's underpants or a bedsheet.
12. Then I use "Areospace 303" across the plastics, hoses etc. Spray the engine covers too.
13. Let it sit for an hour or so.
14. Have a beer.
15. Have another beer.
16. Then with some clean microfibre cloths from "Hammer Barn", give the bay a wipe down. Do the bonnet underside, the guards, booster etc.
17. Then I let it dry a bit more and reconnect the battery.
18. Watch TV.

All in that order ?
Hmm, not sure what I am going to do with the rest of morning !

Ahh, you missed 19 -> Have another Beer !

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
19. Have another beer

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I used to work next door to a detailer. Just good degreaser and a high pressure washer.
Only thing that's a worry are the coils.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
All in that order ?
Hmm, not sure what I am going to do with the rest of morning !

Ahh, you missed 19 -> Have another Beer !
Yeah in that order. Anything less is half arsing it.

This is something I’d do in the engine bay once or twice a year. I do an APC scrub more often.

I do some 303 on the hoses about every two or three months. They are nice an conditioned now. That stuff is the shizz.

If you don’t know what to do with the rest of your morning, a game of gin rummy, maybe a spot of tennis, rub one out, or even some knitting.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I do it myself with a can of degreaser, a bag over the alternator, a toothbrush and a garden hose. Haven't had an issue yet.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yeah in that order. Anything less is half arsing it.

This is something I’d do in the engine bay once or twice a year. I do an APC scrub more often.

I do some 303 on the hoses about every two or three months. They are nice an conditioned now. That stuff is the shizz.

If you don’t know what to do with the rest of your morning, a game of gin rummy, maybe a spot of tennis, rub one out, or even some knitting.

:D

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

Where do you get the 303 from? I have seen it at supercheap but only in a pump pack.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride