Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do i know if my coils are stuffed

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
hey all,

i've had a rough idle sicne i've bought my vz v6 ute...im pretty sure it has a minor misfire in there, i've checked the spark plugs and they're fine..had a look at the coils and down the inside barrel part there was some slight white powdery stuff on the sides, not were it contacts the spark plug, it wasn't corrosion though..i've had a look around and there's no resistance specified..so how do i know if my coils are buggered?

cheers everyone

abg

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ v6
I think you'd get a error code for a misfire if that was your problem. Have you been in any other VZs? Alloytec engines don't like to idle smoothly at all, they shake the whole car.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Alloytec engines don't like to idle smoothly at all, they shake the whole car.

That's news to me...

I've had x2 dead fuel pumps shake my old car around, before that, one of the coils blew. Not sure that it can be said an Alloytec is not a smooth idler...

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
mine didnt throw any codes when i had a misfire. it could be a coil, could be bad fuel, a bad plug... if you have the lights on, that lowers the rpm and causes a vibration, same with radio and fan/aircon etc etc etc

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
my brothers vz calais idles perfectly, you could probably do the 50 cent coin test on top of that engine...mine will idle smoothish then it'd give the car a kick every now and then...fuel is always bp 95 or 98 octane...i've checked my plugs and they're burning as they should be...i just need to test my coils without replacing them to find out which one is buggered

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Buy 1 and rotate it thru all the different positions until the problem goes away

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
well that'd suck considering i'd have the keep takin the plenum on and off to do it right...im pretty sure its a vacuum leak anyways...between my inlet menifold and plenum..i ripped it a tiny bit before by accident...i realllyyyy hope its not valley gaskets though, i cant be arsed to do them hahaha