Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do i remove a Vn Door handle?

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Hi, yes all the way off. See pic.
Because of the “kinky” shape of it you have to push past the various high spots in the spring steel.

Attachments

• 2562921C-AF50-4089-B23F-9EBD89F15C43.jpeg
    2562921C-AF50-4089-B23F-9EBD89F15C43.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 166

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
MMMM i thought i had replied to this, what I do is, move it a little so the U bend is exposed and then put a smaller screwdriver through the U bend and use that to lever it out of its slide.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
"going to try the rustoleum technique ive seen online,"

I've been looking at this approach too. I figure that the Wattyl Killrust and Dulux Metalshield are somewhat equivalent products. Both the above are epoxy enamel paints. When I searched Rustoleum I found that Bunnings carry some Rustoleum paints and it seems to be a brand name so it actually incorporates a number of paint types some of which are acrylic and some which may be enamel and perhaps epoxy enamel. So make sure you are using the type of paint you really want and that will give the results you are after.
Searching Rustoleum I also found this instructional which may be what you found: https://www.instructables.com/id/Paint-Your-Car-With-Rustoleum/. I figure Wattyl and Dulux products I named are roughly equivalent paints. Dulux offers a rust suppressing etch primer but does not offer or recommend a rust converter as part of its system. Wattyl says their paint does not need priming. I think they do suggest a rust converter for rust that cannot be removed. The Wattyl product comes in a fixed range of premixed colours. I figure they could be mixed to achieve other colours if desired. The Dulux paint however can be mixed to match most of the colours on a Dulux colour chart. If that provides accurate colours then that means a huge range of colours become available to select from.
It may also be possible to add a hardening agent to speed up drying and improve durability. I haven't investigated this but it is mentioned in the comments following the instructable that I linked above. I don't know if this would make the resulting paint more hazardous to use.
In my mind I fancy a 2 colour job with a lighter blue above (closely matching the original colour) and a darker colour below the chine line that runs front to back just below the top of the guard and just below the bottom of the window glass.

All this is a long way from getting the door handle off your VN but please consider keeping us updated on your project if you do take it on.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
I use a half circle seal pick & hook the back of the clip. Make sure it pulls straight back ‘Cos if it goes sideways it will still hold one side. It’s a Jesus Clip so keep an eye on it, lol.