Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I remove the wheel Hub with the wheel still attached?

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Im not sure what thread size a VE stud is but lets say its 1/2". Go and buy a 13mm solid carbide jobber drill. You'll need carbide because the studs are through hardened and tempered to about 45HRC. A normal HSS drill will burn.

Centre pop the end of the stud.

Drill through the stud just deep enough to the back of the nut (Total length of nut). In effect, youre drilling the stud and nut thread off

The nut should then fall out.

Pull the wheel off then put in a new stud.

A solid carbide drill wont be cheap though. Looking at about $60-$80.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Take the brake off by undoing the 2 bolts holding the caliper mounting bracket

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a go, let us know how you go.

You physically can not remove the brake caliper without the brake rotor being loose. The two tabs that the bolts go thru, tuck behind the rotor and there's no room until the rotor has been freed up and moved forward.

Im not sure what thread size a VE stud is but lets say its 1/2".

there a M14 stud

Rambodian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I agree with IBLOWN......gonna have to drill it out, even if you can get the wheel off by undoing the hub, you still gotta drill it out

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes as @IBLOWN said need carbide drill, stud is tough, nut is butter. Because you are talking twice the effort with two stripped nuts I would definitely have it towed to a mechanic with the proper lug nut removal tool, heaps cheaper and less drama for you. Would suggest only worth DIY if you were broke or just one stud was to be drilled and replaced on the front.

BTW guys, even if OP could manage to weasel the calliper (+ mounting bracket?) out in the space between either mounting bracket and rim, you can't remove the hub nut from the axle without removing the wheel. And... even then how is OP going to benefit by all of this to get the hub off the wheel - better access to grind the hardened stud from the rear?

See juxtaposition as follows:

[video=youtube_share;9NVBeO6b7Ow]http://youtu.be/9NVBeO6b7Ow[/video]

Last edited:

Alex05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Have you tried a deep impact socket one size smaller. Bash it on with a hammer so it's stuck on the nut then use impact wrench to get it off?

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
WHEATLY098 A pic would be useful .

I'd go with drilling, start with an 1/8 cobalt bit , 1/4 ,3/8, 10mm to the 1/2 then 13mm and maybe a 14mm.

thou

I have taken factory locknuts off with hammering on a smaller socket, the cheaper ones are good as they have more give.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd get a 12 point socket slightly smaller than the rounded off nut, smash it on the rounded off nut with a hammer, then just undo it. It's how a lot of anti theft lock nuts were removed without the proper key.

Doing this sometimes splits the socket so be warned that you may destroy your socket in attempting this method.