Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I remove the wheel Hub with the wheel still attached?

Wheatley098

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE SSV Ute
I have 2 rounded and stuck bold on my flat tire and I need it off ASAP, I've be close to grinding the whole wheel off but was told to disconnect the break callipers and remove the whole wheel assembly, Just need to know what I would need to do to get the thing off I been at it all day :'(

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Front im assuming?
There will be bolts on the back of the hub assembly you're going to need to get undone. It's going to be really tight. Start by removing as much of the stuff around as you can, strut bolts, tierod etc.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I am no expert, but isnt it impossible to get the hub off with the wheel still bolted to it?
The brake caliper needs to come off 1st if I am correct, unless these late model cars are different.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
you find 2 bolts for the calliper undo them slide it up and wire it to ya spring , then there be 3 hex bolts undo them and pull but disconnect the abs first

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I am no expert, but isnt it impossible to get the hub off with the wheel still bolted to it?
The brake caliper needs to come off 1st if I am correct, unless these late model cars are different.

It might be possible as there are bolts on the back of the assembly that could theoretically just pull the whole thing forward.

$(KGrHqRHJC!E8fiuLMlbBPNJmfZLMQ~~60_1.JPG

you find 2 bolts for the calliper undo them slide it up and wire it to ya spring , then there be 3 hex bolts undo them and pull but disconnect the abs first
Slide it up past the still attached wheel?

Last edited:

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Sorry, wont work. The disc rotor fits over the wheel studs, so unless the wheel comes off 1st, aint gunna happen.
And, you wont get the caliper off the rotor with the wheel still on.

But, I have been wrong plenty of times.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I have 2 rounded and stuck bold on my flat tire and I need it off ASAP, I've be close to grinding the whole wheel off but was told to disconnect the break callipers and remove the whole wheel assembly, Just need to know what I would need to do to get the thing off I been at it all day :'(

Go to a mechanic

Pretty simple really, admit you don't have the correct tools n that, you stuffed it up and pay a professional before anything else gets damaged.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but is a good lesson leaned about torquing properly and using the right tools I should think. BTW gotta love silly advice from people who've never had their head up behind the wheels let alone been in that predicament!

OP save yourself a lot of work and heartache, bite the bullet (or in this case the wheel nut) with the proper device called a lug nut removal tool.

Looks like this:

DSC01754.jpg

This sacrifices the wheel nut of course but keeps the studs in tact. Should you not have the time or otherwise due to cost and availability of tool and / or mechanic, or just plain freaking that you can get the bloody thing off like me, you will need to drill off the nut from the lug, and replace the lugs and the nuts of course. This is easy on the front, more work on the rear (at least 2-3hrs).

[video=youtube_share;Nplb68BGrMQ]http://youtu.be/Nplb68BGrMQ[/video]

Rambodian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Frig its been ages since I did a hub renewal. But from memory, and this was on a 05 VZ mind you (they look similar though) you could theoretically get the hub off with the wheel attached. Take the brake off by undoing the 2 bolts holding the caliper mounting bracket, wire the whole thing up and out of the way. Than there should be a ABS plug on the back of the hub, undo and move out of the way. Now from memory there is 3 hex bolts holding the Hub on and you should be able to undo these and get the whole wheel off with the hub.

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a go, let us know how you go.