Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I rotate a red 202

Reaction score
Members Ride
1972 Holden HQ UTE red 202 auto
I have a red 202 that I want to do ignition timing done, but the harmonic balancer has no center bolt? It does have 4 off center bolts, but is it safe to stick a wrench on them to turn the engine over to find tdc?

Is there something I'm missing, I've never heard of a balancer without a center bolt.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
To be honest, on my 202 i just turn the alt and water pump and let the belt do the work. The 202 is piss easy to turn by hand.
P.s put white paint on the knotch in the balancer so it is easier to see when timing light is on it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
To be honest, on my 202 i just turn the alt and water pump and let the belt do the work. The 202 is piss easy to turn by hand.
P.s put white paint on the knotch in the balancer so it is easier to see when timing light is on it.
I tried by the fan, but still won't turn, the thing is as tight as a virgin. Stock 202s that have at least 100,000kms should be effort less for sure.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Fair enough. Tried it with the plugs out?
My truck is around 68k miles. But possibly the third time around. And not sure when it was swapped in ( the 80s maybe) and how many km in its first home.

Still, maybe press down hard on the belt while turning the alt.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair enough. Tried it with the plugs out?
My truck is around 68k miles. But possibly the third time around. And not sure when it was swapped in ( the 80s maybe) and how many km in its first home.

Still, maybe press down hard on the belt while turning the alt.
Yeq I'll try with sparks out, anyway I'll figure something, you think it's bad to use a wrench on the off center bolts?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The balancer on the red motors didn't have a retaining bolt. That's why yours doesn't have one.

Screw two high tensile bolts into opposing holes in the balancer and use a flat bar or large screwdriver between the bolts to turn the motor.

Reaction score
Members Ride
O
The balancer on the red motors didn't have a retaining bolt. That's why yours doesn't have one.

Screw two high tensile bolts into opposing holes in the balancer and use a flat bar or large screwdriver between the bolts to turn the motor.
I got it to turn, and the two not four sorry, were loose,I tightened them and that solves the wobbling in the balancer, also surprisingly the white mark is spot on tdc \oo/ I doubt its been rebuilt right as I bought the car, bit it could be, that's why it was so bloody tight. Anyway thank you both

Johnny.

Reaction score
Members Ride

Also, does a 1972 holden HQ have a ballast resistor in it, as I want to install a electric distributor, and do early commodores have ballast resistors

I got the engine to turn and still can't believe the balancer lined up perfectly with the 0° mark, it must of been recently rebuild that's why it was so bloody tight.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Its been a long long time since I had a Red Six, but It's supposed to line up with zero isn't it? That's tdc, then you advance the spark by turning the dizzy. Am I forgetting something?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its been a long long time since I had a Red Six, but It's supposed to line up with zero isn't it? That's tdc, then you advance the spark by turning the dizzy. Am I forgetting something?
Almost every stock balancer is a two peice item, and over time they shift making the tdc mark on the balancer not match up with the block. I don't think I ever had red Sox before, maybe some red but not all red :). There a good engine, stronger, low end torque and very decent on fuel.

But I will be dropping a 308 or a 304 converted to carby and maybe stroke them also, but the 3 speed auto that is on the 202 can that fit a 308/304?