Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How high can i go

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey guys a quick question might sound straight forward to most but ill ask it anyways, im in the market for a good VT VX Commodore Berlina or Calais (Calais would be good Statesman even better) and i would like to know what the ecotech engines are like with above 250000Km on the clock.
My budget will be up to $6000 and after something with road worthy and reg and some cheaper options i have found have 250 or more KM mostly the WH statesman. I will be driving more than 3-400km a week to work and this will be a second car, i have found a 1999 VT calais with all the trimmings in a yard with 265000km but am worried about problems arising with big KM or am i worring over nothing any help will be great cheers guys.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
There is a lot of factors like hwy Ks or city Ks, service history or not, was it from a young dude or a granny..

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Not sure its in a yard same with a WH stato im looking at on line havent yet looked at either car in the flesh both cars are in different yards stato has a little more km on him

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
It all really depends how the kms were done man (City or HWY).

Kinng

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
IMO the ecotecs start they're problems around 300-350k.

I don't know about anyone else, but the 6 I know of have done this.

Rest a little though, it's not the engine itself giving trouble, it's the sensors. Which are cheap and easy to replace.

I've seen ecos go through 450k and beyond

Taking donations of cash, card or full frontal nudity.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I have run ecotecs up to around 500,000 over the years.

Worst I ever got was balancer shafts which is completely normal.....engine still had great compression etc.

My key to long life from engines is oil change every 5000KM with a good quality oil, Renew inlet gaskets etc regularly, use BP 98 as it has cleaning and anti sludging properties.....AND LAST OF ALL drive it for its age (e.g sensibly...don't go WOT everywhere)

I have seen eco's hit 7-800,000 in the past, they are very reliable engines if you treat them right.

And as said above, it depends on how it's lived its past life.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Really depends on what sort of life it has had.

My Ute had 346xxx on it when I sold it, I serviced it every 5000km's, didnt use oil or water and still got good fuel economy, I assume its still going strong now.
A friend has one at 170xxx and it leaks oil like no tomorow, uses water and is **** house on fuel, funnily enough his is serviced about every 2000-3000kms because theres always something else going wrong.

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Ok cool thanks for the input guys ive decided to look for a VT/X come exec, Berlina or Calais (maybe not so much a Calais as i dont think they are to much different to the Berlina besides a few nice plastics) with as low Kms as i can find or at least up to say 220000km but also looking at the cond, in other words w higher km but in good cond.
I have found a few models with under 200000km on them lowest being 161000km the highest being 191000km there abouts two being Berlina the other two Exec, three being white (im not really after white but the white ones seem to be low km for some reason lol) and one Berlina being gree.
Now another question is the white ones have eco tech engines and the green Berlina having a supercharged which takes my fancy, but is the s/charged nessary better or are they problems waiting to happen as i dont know much about them.

LuccusMaximus

Daily Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
I have a 99 VT i bought it with 307k on the clock stuffed the harmonic balancer at 308k and then completely fried the engine at 311k im thinking i bought a lemon so i just recently bought and got fitted another ecotec out of a vx berlina and it only had 140k on the clock so should finally get to see how much i can get out of it.