Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how hot should vs run

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
From my old petrol head days in a big way where cruising at 150+ kms for near 100 miles the temp would rise to about 200, but slowing down to 100 - 120 would cause the guage to drop back to normal on a HT monaro guage setup very quickly.

What "normal" temp is may be more the question, the commodores do run fairly hot under the bonnet out in the scrub where outside temps are well over 40 deg C.

One trip to Melbourne the back way caused big dramas when it was pushed hard it would run sick, for no visible reason, the problem eventually found was that the fuel was literally boiling in the tank "it could be heard" so the carbies were getting bubbles instead of pure liquid fuel.

Racers will know what a cool can is, those that don't, it's a glorified can with the fuel line made of metal is coiled around unside the can which is then filled with dry ice or a ice / salt brine mix well below zero deg C depending on the length of the race.

It does work very well BTW, another trick is water injection, where depending on what the throttle position is and vacum etc water is squirted into the carby bores along with the fuel, the water increases compression and thus HP.

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
Mine does what nearly every VS I've seen does...1/2 way normal driving...and when on idle...will raise to 3/4...nothing to worry about...like the others said...just make sure the coolant is all good...

Cheers, Joe

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
Mine is normal then. Stays on the 1st notch on the gauge with the A/C on, apart from creeping up a notch or 2 cos it's 45 degrees today and the A/C was running flat out. Mine has a newradiator + water pump etc 6 months ago. VR Calais V6.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
can someone put up a photo of where the sender unit is on the VR V6
I got a statesman and I went to have alook to change mine but am blowed if I can find it.
Fark even the trusty Hayes Manual doesn't show it??

ads72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim 3.8
wheres the thermo switch for fan and how to tweak it

M

mccorncob

i have s2 acclaim vs and on hwy its lucky to go over the first notch but in town the thermo doesn't kik in till just b4 half. i'm pretty sure u can change the switch so it kiks in earlier

brentons_house

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I think something has gone wrong with mine or for seom reason does extremely well I noticed there was nothing in it so I filled it up with water and now it doesn't even go above the first notch although before I put water in when I sat still it heated up to half and when I was driving around stayed low so either it's broken or something now or just seems to always be cool now.