Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How is this system ? Budget of around $1300, Less if possible

Josheh

Soon to be Boater
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
SOLD - VX, Now have MY14 CRUZE
I was told by an audio store though "Ministry of bass" If I leave the rear speakers alone that when I turn the speakers up I will hear them all distorted though and I should be getting a 5 channel amp and amping them as well ?

Thanks on your other options, looking into them now

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
If you have the rears running off the head unit with fronts/ sub off an amp that will happen cause you run a head unit at a higher volume (number on the dial) with an amp than without.... ie if your head unit has a max volume of 50, normally it will start clipping around the 30 mark so you really only use 10 to 25ish. When through an amp you will set the gains at about 35 so you would have it turned up more than if you did not have an amp (20-40). When you try and combine this with having the rears through the HU, and fronts through amp, yes the rears will sound distorted. You could tune the gains on lower, but you will not be getting effective use of the amp. Kinda can't get the best of both worlds. One way around this would be to fade the sound forward (as it should be anyway) so not much comes from the rear. Or amp the lot. O not bother with the rears (unplug them).

Hope this makes sense? one of those easy to demonstrate thing. Hard to explain properly.

A 5 channel amp is a valid solution. But in a value for dollars sense they are not very good. More expensive than 4 channel and not as much power all round (for equivalent $$$'s). But yes, can be a neat all-round solution. My first amp was a 5 channel. When I moved it to my next car and realised the little value in rear speakers I bridged it into a 3 channel configuration which gave good power to the front and the sub was woefully underpowered.

4 Channel amps offers better expandability too. If you want a dedicated sub amp later on it can still be used. Could still use a 5 channel (as 4 channel), but not as good and you are now not using the specific features you paid a premium for.

Blazed1101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
also please note, I’ve been told that if your car isn’t plated as a premium sound system car, knocking those stupid little 6x9 plates will cause the car to get defected if noticed when it comes to rego, had a mate get done and he had to end up getting them welded back on went back then they knocked him back to go get an engineering cert to get rego

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
You can just fade to the front of the car in your headunit settings. So effectively, the fronts are louder than the rears at all times. This way you can get the fronts to their highest volume without the rears distorting. Little bit of trial and error until you find the sweet spot.

As for the gear dcBear suggested, I ran a Morel Tempo 6" component set in my VY. Shat all over several fusion, pioneer, clarion and alpine speakers that my mates went through in a comparable price range. Highly recommend. Soft, sweet highs that didn't fatigue, strong mid-bass for an untreated door, beautiful mids.

Don't run a 5 channel, you'll have limited expansion potential in the future. You're much better off buying a 4 channel amp, bridging 2 channels for the sub and run the front splits off of the other 2 channels. Leave the rears on the headunit. Then, in the future you can buy yourself a monoblock for the sub, bridge the 4 channel amp and give the front splits plenty of juice or you can power your rears with the 4 channel (meh).

Also, DO NOT look past the importance of a well treated door! You NEED sound deadening! The only reason why I didn't use it was because it was a temporary install. Get yourself some Dynamat or equivalent and sound deaden your doors (at least, preferably any other tinny panels too), like in this tutorial: Sound Deadening Your Vehicle.

As well as the doors, you should deaden any panels that do not give a nice 'thud' noise when you tap them. Common parts in a commodore include the rear seat panel, parcel shelf etc.