Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How is your VZ going so far?

Juan

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Commodore
Had my VZ Alloytech 4 speed auto Equipe since new 2005 . Has done 53000 , no that's not a typo , 53000 . Still on the original tyres .
Only trouble has been a faulty manufactured battery replaced under warranty after only two weeks . Recently the left blinker stays on and the good people on this forum told me how to fix it . Just needs a new relay fitted to body control module .
Other than that it's been a great car .
When I bought it I test drove a Toyota camry , A cheap Mercedes , Mazda and a Ford , of the models available at the time the VZ was the best to drive. Ford had a bit more power and rode a bit smoother but the VZ handled way better at high speed .
It saved our bacon on a trip to Victoria one night when a deer ran out infront of us when we were doing 100 ks an hour . Only had a fraction of a second to react and the VZ took us around behind that deer with just a flick of the wheel . Mine handles great I reckon.
It wil be a good car for a forum member to buy when I decide to trade up .

too jazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
dads got a wl statesman v6 used it as a taxi and just retired it
so far 612xxx kms on it
orginal engine going strong but for how long i dont know :)
gearbox had to replaced 30000kms ago, none of the trans guys were interested into looking at the problem it had, would rev to 3.5k before changing gears from 1-2
diff is whining a bit at the moment
cv joints went at 300k
been through one power steering rack
fuel injectors are gone, whole petrol system is pretty bad atm, our fault really didnt use it on petrol for over a yr, also when theirs less than half a tank of petrol, the fuel tank starts to suck it self in and crumble up lol, release the fuel filler cap and air just pops out going back to normal
radiator would bust at around every 100k
battery was a bit bs every 6 months, was unusual cause normally they run 9 months
gone through 1 alternator and 1 starter motor
gone through a couple of engine mounts
Also should add gone through 2.5 sets of coils, trust me never use that after market tridon rubbish, the car really hated it from the get go, plugs done every 120k with laser platinum, sometimes was done with standard delco product from holden, but only got 40000 out of it before giving trouble.
best of all was lucky never had the stretched timing chain or the blinker relay issue most had
overall just minor issues, been a tow truck just twice, so its severed us very well
were on to a wm caprice now, see how that one turns out lol

Last edited:

PHaSR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LUMINA
Good to hear how something that has been driven for so long and hard stand up and what to expect should I decide to keep mine.
When you say "gone through a couple of engine mounts" how do they fix that?

too jazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Good to hear how something that has been driven for so long and hard stand up and what to expect should I decide to keep mine.
When you say "gone through a couple of engine mounts" how do they fix that?

The engine mount we found was to much hassle to do at home, cause you need to lift the engine to replace it, we have always bought genuine for it , the eBay one failed really quickly, also if replacing one its better to do the other side straight away as we'll, cause usually after a few months the other fails. Replace left and right together is what I've seen

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
my mrs vz wagon exec on duel fuel has 190k on it.

pros- great economy on gas; quiet and smooth; excellent aircon; sump plug at front, oil filter up top

cons- delayed accelaration(electronic)and kickdown; handles like a barge; feels heavy; barely chirps foot flat at full lock on a rh turn; manifold removal for spark plug change; thermostat hard to get to; tyre wear uneven and way too quick; clunky in drivetrain somewhere;

changed coils, o2 sensors at 120k expensive! 6 coils 4 o2 sensors.

heater tap, water pump, coolant cap, fuel injectors between 170-190k

broken volume up button steering wheel common.

broken fuel flap common

tyre wear uneven front and back, seems to chew them compared to vs commy

wouldn't buy a 6 vz ever again! my vs ecotec just goes and goes, no major issues. fuel economy stinks at 310k though.

ill be looking at g6e turbo

can anyone confirm timing chain issues?? thats what I've heard are problematic and would be a c**t

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
my mrs vz wagon exec on duel fuel has 190k on it.

pros- great economy on gas; quiet and smooth; excellent aircon; sump plug at front, oil filter up top

cons- delayed accelaration(electronic)and kickdown; handles like a barge; feels heavy; barely chirps foot flat at full lock on a rh turn; manifold removal for spark plug change; thermostat hard to get to; tyre wear uneven and way too quick; clunky in drivetrain somewhere;

changed coils, o2 sensors at 120k expensive! 6 coils 4 o2 sensors.

heater tap, water pump, coolant cap, fuel injectors between 170-190k

broken volume up button steering wheel common.

broken fuel flap common

tyre wear uneven front and back, seems to chew them compared to vs commy

wouldn't buy a 6 vz ever again! my vs ecotec just goes and goes, no major issues. fuel economy stinks at 310k though.

ill be looking at g6e turbo

can anyone confirm timing chain issues?? thats what I've heard are problematic and would be a c**t

Yep , the timing chain on them has been known to stretch , but as there are sensors on the them it will send a code as a prior warning , they are not cheap to fix , but if the car has been looked after and not thrashed they should be ok .

mike123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra V6
[QUOTE=MorganVZ;2406040]For everything people say about the alloytec all I've had trouble with the actual engine is a small oil leak and a bit of a rattle (probably from the tensioners). Had a few electrical problems.
Air con doesn't work too well
Rear passenger side window doesnt work
Bubbling noise from the air con
Diffs a bit ****
Power steerings getting a bit heavy

What is that problem with the power steering? It is a bit heavy when getting out of a car park sometimes, it doesn't work at all when you turn, you just wait a bit and it comes right

sirjolly18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 holden VZ v6 ute.
Well owned My VZ for almost 2 years now and overall Its been Okay to Drive and comfy. Bought with 135 000km's. now has 160 000km's

I've spend a fair bit tho getting it up to scratch but due to the previous owner being a lead foot and thinking servicing is optional it required some TLC.
It was lowered on SL king springs but all the shocks were shot! I replaced castor rod bushes and the front strut mounts and bearings. New Monroe Gt Sport shocks all round.
Entire cooling system replaced (hoses, Clamps, Radiator, Thermostat and housing,water pump, gaskets, o-rings)
I change the oil and filter every 5000km's (fuel filter at 30 000km's)
Did the engine mounts at the same time as the thermostat as engine was removed and made work much easier.
Interior Was in good condition and has a couple of annoying rattles, The Glove box hinges and the Fuse cover hinge and press clamps rattle to the point where a foot will soon fix the problem. I removed the door trim and make sure the doors lock rails are in there plastic clamps. Speaker screws have lock tight so they dont work themselves loose. Double sided tape to hold the plastic instead of the glue.

Did all the work myself and saved a heap of money. Good to have a hand with the engine mounts.

I like the car but the low power under 3 grand annoys the s**t outa me. I have a sports exhaust and CAI. Auto 4 SPD is smooth when warmed up. engine leaks a little oil and valve seals are leaking a little when the engine sits for a few days. They look good and handle great one you but good shocks in the car.

All those people who complain about poor handling! Its designed to appeal to everyone and everyone drives different. Mostly F**ken Slow But FE2 shocks and springs will give you a good ride and handling.