Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how many made?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
ok ive just done some digging up and found a site that showes all the RIGHT codes and stuff from the build sheet, The other site i was on was missleading.
It said the LB9 engine is a 4.9ltr 304 and the LV2 engine is a 5.0ltr 308. The site i found was different and said the LB9 is a 4.9ltr PFI and the LV2 is a high compression.
Can some1 tell me the difference and what one is the better v8? Mine is the lv2 btw

on another note im still trying 2 find how many were built

The only VL V8 worth having was the Group A (series II - aka Walkinshaw). Beyond that, take your old bottom end, slap a set of vn heads, cam and manifold on it and go for PFI.

Reaper

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
I rember having a OLD holden heratage book in the back of it it told you how many models were made of each car how many were shipped over seas ones that were knocked down ect ect if your that keen i would head into a holden dealer and ask for a holden heratage book i got myne free for a school project years ago prob cost ya a few bucks now if ya can still get them

that's where the numbers were quoted from, but it only lists the models and it doesn't break them down to sl, executive, berlina, sedan, wagon etc...... also you can't buy that book from holden they were only given to employees and dealers if you want one of them you would need to look on EBAY, oztion, bookshops or news paper classifieds.

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
308"s came out in VL's,I have a 1988 Calais block with 308 on it,the crank measurements say so too.

The rules werent brought into play until 1988.

ParkwayDrv

Slave to the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
308"s came out in VL's,I have a 1988 Calais block with 308 on it,the crank measurements say so too.

Man i can't believe people are STILL on about it. No VL came from factory with a 308 in it.

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
Why does my block say 308 and the measurements on the crank say so aswell.

Engine is out of a Calais that #"s matched engine wise.I have the pictures in one of my for sale adds.

No need to shout either,you sound like my father.Trust me,you dont want to sound like him lol.Maybe next time say"What makes you say that bloke"or something?

Edit:Man I cant beleive the respect or lack of given on this forum of late,people need to read what they type before posting and speak normally to oneanother.Its not hard.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride

FFS - Mid way thru the VK run Holden de-stroked the engine slightly from 308 ci to 304 ci in order to get the swept engine volume under 5000 cc. The point of this was because the Group A rules badly penalized any car over 5000 cc with substantial extra weight. From memory this happened early 1985 and from there on all 5 litres had the smaller stroke.

After the 1985 Bathurst timing chain issue, Holden engaged HDT to build 500 "evolution" commodores to homologate parts for racing. These included different intake manifold, exhaust headders, timing chain, roller rockers, body kit and other misc bits and pieces. This car became the VK SS Group A. There were a few SS Group A/3's built with 5 speed T5G gearboxes, 16" wheels and other luxury touches. They were also blue.

If you have a 308ci VL the car the motor or crank has been replaced at some stage. I have no idea what rules you are talking about from 1988.

Reaper

Last edited:

karlos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S S/C & BA XR6T
Avoiding the swear filter,very classy.You are so uber mighty cool,please can I be you.

This forum is getting a ESTREET reputation by the way,catcha tossers.Dont give up ya day jobs.

tosser(urban description)Somebody that frequently beats themselves in order to make them feel big/adequate.lol!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Avoiding the swear filter,very classy.You are so uber mighty cool,please can I be you.

This forum is getting a ESTREET reputation by the way,catcha tossers.Dont give up ya day jobs.

tosser(urban description)Somebody that frequently beats themselves in order to make them feel big/adequate.lol!

Huh?? Where?

Reaper

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
wow. thats pretty cool. estreet? as in the english drama series? i used to watch that when i was a kid. it came on straight after inspector gadget and there was nothing else but news on the other channels and all sorts of other crap.

i should've just gone outside and played. much you like disputing the truth... should've just gone outside and played.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
please can I be you.

wow, this is how some people react to be WRONG!:whistling no wonder it's getting an E Street rep.
E street was an aussie soap.