Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much on average for vs t5 manual conversion?

1slyvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS, 96 VS v6 wag
hey fellas just joined the forum just want a basic idea of what im lookin at for the whole t5 conversion kit including loom, pedal box, console, shifter and computer thanks

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
private is usually around $600- $1000. Wreckers ask for $1200- 1500 (supplied)

Bought mine about 3 years ago for $700

1slyvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS, 96 VS v6 wag
thanks man

Dusty_vs

your resident mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs excecutive sedan
Mate if mine did a manual conversion in a vr wagon a few years back... Told me
he'd never do it again haha

after buying the gearbox, pedal box, computer you also have to look at a clutch, flywheel, whether or not you want to keep it vs and go hydraulic actuation or cable as in the vr backward, then after that, is the tailshaft the same length/ same uni's? Do you want to replace the whole wiring loom or just bridge a few wires in the plug that went into the auto? Also he had to get his speedo fixed, he bought some sort of aftermarket corrector for it..

Not trying to be the bearer of a head f@$k or be a c&@t but all things have to be thought of before embarking on something like this... My mates vr was off the road for about 3 months... Then when he got it finished he discovered the rear bearing had packed it in.. More money gone poor bugger.

That said.. After all thi gs sorted out he was happy, manual commodores go hard

EDIT: t5's are cable clutch, getrag's have hydraulic... If I'm wrong please correct me but I think that's the case.. My bad :)

1slyvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS, 96 VS v6 wag
yeah my mate thats helpin me is a mechanic he's doin the clutch, flywheel, speedo and replacing the whole loom, im also putting a straight tailshaft in, for perfomance purposes but also to eliminate the centre bearing problems so im not to worried about that, and yeah im goin t5, getrag's are to expensive and ive blown one up before and found out i couldnt rebuild it because there a sealed unit, and lets face it the only reason you go manual is so you can do great skids lol so will probs be rebuilding a few times lol thanks for the input tho

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
any manual can be hydrolic

any car can have a t5 installed

i was looking at going t5 i stayed trubo 700

trust me evry one sez it's easy it's not

1slyvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VX SS, 96 VS v6 wag
thats what everyone's been tellin me its a pain, me mate works at an auto trans shop, he reckons a full day and he would have the old box out and the conversion done? is that not possible?