Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to get my stock VL turbocharged???

scozzman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Also - i would like to know how much it would cost to recon a standard RB30.
Im sure it would be over $2000

SUS 230

Piddy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
scozzman, ive been thinking over the jap import thingy for a while, and it does seem to be the way to go...will they drop it off the engine off at your mechanic or do you have to arrange transport.. also how much did it cost to fit it?

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well..

1500-2000 dollars for the engine if you get an import, what are you doing about brakes and gearbox with this?

No matter what you turbo, whether it’s the current engine in your car, or whether you get that engine rebuilt or build an rb30et or purchase an import then brakes and gearbox will have to be considered, the n/a auto's will not hold, and the n/a manuals will hold for a while. But you will have to look at upgrading eventually.

Now, my opinion on the rb20det isn't really that high, I've driven a couple before but the fastest one I'd driven still 'felt' slow.
The 2litre simply doesn't provide enough torque for my likings and is as gutless as an excel until boost hits. In most cases boost is coming on early. But it still isn't enough.

Lets just say that I had a run in with my mates r32 gts-t. Larger turbo, rebuilt with a larger fuel supply, front mount intercooler, manual, brass button clutch and 15psi with a 3" exhaust vs my converted vlt manual, 7 psi- stock cat and 2.5" exhaust I got a lead, he was slowing pulling away at very high top end. 170km/h plus.

Driving his car was just like driving an excel with some plugs missing until boost hit, whereas mine was just like driving an n/a car - and then boost hit.

To convert the n/a you have now - you could probably do it for 1000 dollars if you get your bargains. 1500 easy. Like I said that’s not including gearbox, brakes - driveline etc.

To do it properly with the engine rebuilt, your looking at that figure plus the engine build, 1500-2500 + 1-1.5 thousand.

Depends on your money, in most cases its often cheaper to buy a vlt and do it up, unless you really really want to keep your car because of good paint etc

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
VL Berlina 5speed said:
rb20det is a 2liter double over head cam, electronicaly injected and with turbo (meanings of 20det) the rb25dett is the 2.5liter double over head cam, electronic injection and twin turbo.
where the rb30 (vl motor) is a 3ltr single over head cam and electronically injected and makes ruffly half the power of the other two motors

You were correct up until your last statement.

And I agree with Bax, the RB20DET is very lack luster to drive.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Im a V8 man myself BUT if i was goin to turbo i would buy either a wrecked vl turbo or a VL turbo engine+Gearbox together and then put that it. Thats what i had planned once upon a time but that didnt eventuate becoz .. i looked into my wallet and didnt see any money :p

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
If you just get an rb30et and box there are other things that will need to be fitted to the car like the right ECU and at minimum VL turbo (or V8) brakes and a turbo diff because a turbo motor will spit out a non turbo diff before you can say "hey watch this..."

S

Steve-0

ive heard the RB20's aint too good as mentioned earlier the boost kicks in early coz of the wieght of the car, meaning ya turbo's gonna have to be rebuilt alot earlier. i reckon you'd be better off saving up alot more money and get it all done properly-decent engine/box (RB25dett, rb26det, RB30DET etc), diff, brakes etc

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Lol, it must be make up engine combinations day..

I personally like the rb28dtt better.

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
yeh the rb28's r the best of all ................ * u were joking right? *

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
No, I like the 2.8 litre carby twin turbo.