Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to tune a ssv manual?

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Thats a good result Dingus. You would be happy with that.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
Hi Dingus,

I'm thinking of getting mine done and am wondering if you'd share your opinion on what you've had done ?
How does that feel on the road ?

Dingus will probably be driving around with a big smile in his face :)

Mine made similar gains after the tune and mods but power aside the way it drives was the biggest winner, its much better behaved (mine is a manual).

The only thing I regret is waiting 40,000km to do it. My next car will be tuned straight away.

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Gains stock my car got 9.1l/100km @110kph over a set 380km section of road, with the OTR and Exhaust and increased HP of around 80rwhp it now does 10.2l/100 @ 110kph over the same section. I drive this action often and use BP Ultimate 98.

Haha if I think all the way back to the first page if this epic thread, it was the MAF-less tune that caused your fuel consumption to raise. But now you say it was the exhaust and OTR... Work that out Einstein!!!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hi Dingus,

I'm thinking of getting mine done and am wondering if you'd share your opinion on what you've had done ?
How does that feel on the road ?
Would you mind saying how much it cost you for the tune and the OTR (separately) ?
Is it bang for buck worth doing ?
Is that with the standard exhaust ? (Edit :- sorry disregard - just seen 2 1/2" cat back on the sheet)
Cheers :)

P.S. This thread "is a good read", it's the first thread I look for lol ;)

Hello Vudu and Dingus I've spent a lot on research and mods and experts and wankers promising magical transformations by remapping the ECU software, bottom line is that I read from the print out that your car is likely no better off after the tune than before.
That chart is an outright manifestation, most of them are.
Always look at the correction factor and what SAE standard is being used (I wouldn't choose J607 anywhere in Australia).
Firstly the correction does not match the conditions, but more importantly SAE deems more than 7% (0.07) an invalid test.
Where does 0.39 possibly fit as a correction factor?
Better off getting raw dyno figures and noting temp and baro.
Same with torque, is what you want to see... otherwise ask what preference value they / the program factors for moment of inertia specific to your diff, mags, discs etc., or friction from your tyres rr / psi.
No doubt the car will seem to run better, just sayin that dyno figures from the bloke you paid to fiddle with his lappy are clearly subjective.
Go to another dyno using same J607 right now and I say it will be somewhere in between the red and blue lines.
EDIT: The actual chart is not tidy and should include the AFR

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If you want factual information you wouldn't come here, I've given him the facts that Tunes are a waste of money
Plenty of people on here an many other car forums would strongly disagree. What's the point of adding performance modifications to your car if your not going to give them the ideal settings to work with to get the most of their potential.
Also please learn to multi-quote.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Hello Vudu and Dingus I've spent a lot on research and mods and experts and wankers promising magical transformations by remapping the ECU software, bottom line is that I read from the print out that your car is likely no better off after the tune than before.
That chart is an outright manifestation, most of them are.
Always look at the correction factor and what SAE standard is being used (I wouldn't choose J607 anywhere in Australia).
Firstly the correction does not match the conditions, but more importantly SAE deems more than 7% (0.07) an invalid test.
Where does 0.39 possibly fit as a correction factor?
Better off getting raw dyno figures and noting temp and baro.
Same with torque, is what you want to see... otherwise ask what preference value they / the program factors for moment of inertia specific to your diff, mags, discs etc., or friction from your tyres rr / psi.
No doubt the car will seem to run better, just sayin that dyno figures from the bloke you paid to fiddle with his lappy are clearly subjective.
Go to another dyno using same J607 right now and I say it will be somewhere in between the red and blue lines.
EDIT: The actual chart is not tidy and should include the AFR
While I agree with majority of what you have said, I don't agree that is should include the AFR's. My car has had more tunes then probably any car on here and I don't have a single sheet with AFR's. I trust that my tuner knows what he is doing, which is evident by the fact I push it extremely hard and not broken it (lol), and to be honest AFR's won't mean anything to 99% of people.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Hey Dingus, i am seeing the boys this Saturday at Russo Performance to chat about what options i shall be getting done to my ride... They seem like they know what they are doing when i first stuck my head in to say hello last fortnight..
They had some impressive units in there getting tuned and worked on. Did you see the twin turbo LS3 GTS ? Sounded unreal :)

my Harley is US made but then we don't make any decent bikes in Australia but if we did I would have bought one of them.

So you are now calling a Harley a decent bike !! :lmao:

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I've given him the facts that Tunes are a waste of money and do nothing

Anyone else want advice, only get the tune if you go Supercharged or Cammed.

Herp.

I posted a video before, i'll post it again.

Stock SS/SSV makes 270kw (at the flywheel) which probably equates to about 210-215rwkw on the dyno. In the video below, after a tune/exhaust/intake it makes 271rwkw.

Fkn please stop talking, you look like a fool to a community of people who actually know far more about what they are talking about than you do. Not to mention you are completely ignorant of the facts which other people have put out there.

There really isn't any more to be said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Dyno 3.jpgDyno 4.jpg

Dyno Chart from Stock Run in Jan 2013 (208.5rwkw). Other chart from this week noting the Duspeed and the Cat back 3" added 20rwkw before tune and then the tune added about 20 as well for a final tuned figure of 248.5rwkw.

Note that the car hit 250rwkw a couple of times but my tuner said it runs all day at the final figure of 248.5 so thats what they went with.

BehaveSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV E3 Tourer
Have you ever looked at any of the tuning software available and what can actually be manipulated in the tables? Or are you basing all what you say off what you think?

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.
You don't need to believe me, but I have worked for Holden as an engineer and have in many occassions worked with powertrain teams and spent plenty hours at the Holden lang lang proving grounds testing vehicles?

When I say tune the AFR down from 14.7 doesn't imply AFR is an input into tuning software... I'm trying to elude to the engineering reasons 'why' you do it, rather than 'how' or 'what' you do in softwares... I guess that's the difference between Engineers and our buddy technicians.