Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to tune a ssv manual?

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Yeah I think I will put on my new extractors, cats and otr then drive it for 6 months just to feel the improvements as is, then tune it so I have an appreciation of what the tune actually increases. It makes sense and that's how I always modded my cars, 1 step at a time to feel the steps of performance increase.

However, if I do that, the new extractors will cause the Engine Light to turn on, yes? If so, would that be a problem?

Get the Pacemakers, they come with an extension O2 lead and they don't make the check engine light come on. Also if you buy a VCM OTR from eBay it's cheaper to buy the MAFless one as they are the same price and go to VCM website and buy the MAF conversion kit, you save about $100 and you can just fit the MAFless kit when/if you get a tune. they say it take 500-1000km after fitting OTR to get the full benefits.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
PIR4TE is right, the car might make good gains but in the real world not 270rwkw when the figure was gained using a correction factor based on 0% humidity and 10 degrees.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
I am sad that I cbf getting into this but the pirate bloke has used pe and dyno in the same sentence , as well as numbers not at 14.7 when on the dyno. I would think his veracity would be good (or at least worth checking).

when your thing goes pe it takes much more than headers and an air filter to go lean. Holden makes pe very rich and then for good measure does a quick blm check to see if it is above the "zero" (non adjusted value) to get it even richer by using the number above "the zero" to mod the pe (from the data point when you go into pe).

I have to go now and save some lions in india.

Last edited:

6LWAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SPORTWAGON
Yeah I think I will put on my new extractors, cats and otr then drive it for 6 months just to feel the improvements as is, then tune it so I have an appreciation of what the tune actually increases. It makes sense and that's how I always modded my cars, 1 step at a time to feel the steps of performance increases.

However, if I do that, the new extractors will cause the Engine Light to turn on, yes? If so, would that be a problem?

Hey mate, I had my exhaust on for over a year before I decided to give her a tune.
It has extractors and a 3" KPM system fitted.
The engine light came on after 3 days and my mechanic cleared that for me and never came on again.
When we ran the car on the dyno, untuned, with exhaust was an extra 25 hp and after tuning gained another 35 hp.

Just so you know it's a L98, 6 speed manual.
I hope this helps.

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
Hey mate, I had my exhaust on for over a year before I decided to give her a tune.
It has extractors and a 3" KPM system fitted.
The engine light came on after 3 days and my mechanic cleared that for me and never came on again.
When we ran the car on the dyno, untuned, with exhaust was an extra 25 hp and after tuning gained another 35 hp.

Just so you know it's a L98, 6 speed manual.
I hope this helps.

Yeah righto, cheers 6Lwagon. Looks like it is ok to drive around with the Engine light on then. I have a mate with a scan tool which can clear it. I also have a OBDII dongle and I can use it on the diagnostic port and use my phone to link up with it via BT and use a code clearer app. I wonder if that will be ok too...

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
RoaringSky, while not being an expert, I wouldnt be running on 91 octane with your car. Is the tuner you have been talking about going to use an SCT tuning tool?? You havent told us what type for the $1190 you speak of.

I have been told here on this forum that I can run my L98 on 91ron if it is not tuned...or is it wrong? The car can run on that yukky E85 or something as stated in the user manual and inside the fuel flap? Is that like E10 fuel? I wouldn't touch that one though. I have been driving around for 6 months now with 91 ron, no probs, even on 40C days, but I don't hoon during those days. I rarely push my car anyway, only when needed.

With the type of brand of the tuning tool, I really didn't pay much attention to it as I switched off completely as soon as he mentioned that it will cost me $1190 to tune my street car with min mods. Value wise, I cant justify it so I didn't listen to any details of the rest of his speech. All I know is that it's a piggy back style computer that offers 3 settings and I can also revert back to factory setting if I want to...yeah, I so need those fancy features as I run my car on ethanol with massive cams, blowers and semi slicks etc...not!

Look, $500-900 is a decent price to me after reading so many pages of info, and that will be for a flash tune yeah? Not with a piggy back fuel computer? Anything beyond that gets too dear and seems like an overkill which doesn't make sense for my street car with minimum mods.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I have been told here on this forum that I can run my L98 on 91ron if it is not tuned...or is it wrong? The car can run on that yukky E85 or something as stated in the user manual and inside the fuel flap? Is that like E10 fuel?

Yeah, it's like E10 but 75 better, the V8 Super cars run on E85, it burns cleaner and is similar octane level of 110. I'm in WA and just we could get it, when I went to Holden's and asked them when it's coming to WA they asked me what it was.
E85....85% Ethanol 15% Premium. E10.......10% Ethanol 90% Premium

As for running on 91, what's your owners manual say? Remember 91ron is Regular Unleaded and 95 & 98ron is Premium Unleaded. I don't think Holden own shares in BP so wouldn't recommend the dearer fuel if it wasn't the best for your car.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I have been told here on this forum that I can run my L98 on 91ron if it is not tuned...or is it wrong?

Correct. It will run fine on many combustible fluids including 91 petrol but retards power and economy to buggery and with mods, load, heat like you say... 91 is just not good for your engine.
Specifically L98 is not low compression like the first mid 80s-mid 90s unleaded designs, eg our pistons are hypereutectic (stronger than cast but brittle), and are particularly sensitive to the point of destruction under knock.
u6emysys.jpg

A lot of engineering goes into enabling Gen IV engines to literally run on crap, but use higher octane 95+ or e85 ideally.

The car can run on that yukky E85 or something as stated in the user manual and inside the fuel flap? Is that like E10 fuel? I wouldn't touch that one though.

Best fuel for our cars is e85, and its tax free, but the surprise is 95+ (ethanol mix) is also good value and will not kill our V8 watch this http://www.ozgarage.com.au/season1-video/episode-10-now-online-the-fuel-test you are not alone thinking e85 is crap, but really have the rating scale arse about.

In the Barossa we enjoy a piggy back style sandwich called an "Elton", hope that helps, cheers.

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Wish there was more E85 near me, free 50rwkw!

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
i didnt think you could run E85 in the older VE's as the newer ones had a different fuel system setup to cope with the extra ethanol content and the extra fuel it uses. can anyone clarify this?

you can use any type of unleaded fuel, but it'll run better on premium and you'll use less as well. there isnt really that much difference dollar wise when you compare cost vs economy