Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to tune a ssv manual?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
i didnt think you could run E85 in the older VE's as the newer ones had a different fuel system setup to cope with the extra ethanol content and the extra fuel it uses. can anyone clarify this?
Apparently the OP has an MY9.5 L98 with flex fuel, I checked into that.

you can use any type of unleaded fuel, but it'll run better on premium and you'll use less as well. there isnt really that much difference dollar wise when you compare cost vs economy

Agreed, that video I posted is worth watching when you get the chance.
A lot of people are put off e85 because basically it takes on moisture and you need a stainless / plastic fuel system so not be affected by scouring in the lines or rust through condensation. Can't use e85 in a boat or plane!
I've read conflicting reports that the ECM calculates flex fuel calibrations without the special flex fuel sensor as well, but conversions sell it?
Don't listen to the numbnuts at servos who warn "you'll use 25-30% more" as it really depends on how and where you drive - I get 100km less per tank - still works out cheaper for me - $10.45 per 100km versus $15 on 98.
P100 is the best in dollar terms for mileage / tank, very close to e85 in performance.
Only dramas I've found with condensation in ethanol is buying a mild steel catback that's turned religious (holy) in just over two years, and when you mash the pedal in winter morning or night there's a high dewpoint a cloud forms for about two metres behind the car like Batmobile's smokescreen generator and you have to put the rear wiper on.
United will give you close the 85% alcohol whereas Caltex is *up to* 75% I've found (I make wine so I pack a hydrometer).
Oh and if you are going to the snow it makes it difficult to start, then runs like a 'vette wagon with a SuperChiller.
asyzamad.jpg

The whole e85 thang helps get approval from Domestic Finance Ministry as well..
e4utyru7.jpg

Last edited:

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I see a lot of the OPs problem is himself. Complained about the tune going to cost $1190, but has no idea what he is getting for that money, as he "switched off" when a price was mentioned by the tuner.. Then he agrees with the people that give him the answers he "wants to hear", not the correct info.

Epic fail IMHO.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Hey PIR4TE, have heard and then spoke to a sponsor who has-call it "converted a series one SS L98 to run on E85,"now this being said the guy who had it done reckons go for it so am consdering, have spoken to walkinshaw here in queensland and they are waiting for ugrades to vcm suite (i think thats right) so they can also provide this, as there is 2 tuning software type packages (most common i have found) hp and vcm (please correct me if I'm wrong), cost is about $1400 have to check may have been a fraction cheaper, your opinions on this ?? at present I have tune otr exhaust etc and mine goes like a scolded cat, the difference i have found is the drivability, and i gained overall about 35kw if i remenber correctly need to find my dyno sheet (its only a number on a dyno) proof is now how it drives and worth the spend I think, so if a cashed up person is not happy with his possible gains who cares, but many a retuned commodore owner is very very pleased I know i am just my 2C worth

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I see a lot of the OPs problem is himself. Complained about the tune going to cost $1190, but has no idea what he is getting for that money, as he "switched off" when a price was mentioned by the tuner.. Then he agrees with the people that give him the answers he "wants to hear", not the correct info.

Epic fail IMHO.

OK OP, you'll want to hear this, I surrender, Arr!
Here's the correct info*
Get a reputable $500-800 full flash tune right now, with mods, it is false economy otherwise.
Don't fret about losing the virtues of the stock tune as you have plenty power and economy left on the table with your motor's potential and the flex fuel system revised with a full tune will clearly show the difference in power and economy at the bowser.

*OP divulged critical points over the thread like doesn't know / want piggy back (may have been an AutoCal piggy on the OBDII), but doesn't need much out of the ordinary DD, has a powerful manual flex fuel variant, would like to continue option to run **** fuel, and lets just say its safe to presume he's not sleeping with or related to Gina Rhinehart.

OP I commend your canniness and wish you the best of luck getting practical value from myriad rogue tuners like I said, temper technical claims which border on 'truly fantastic' with a healthy disdain.

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hey PIR4TE, have heard and then spoke to a sponsor who has-call it "converted a series one SS L98 to run on E85,"now this being said the guy who had it done reckons go for it so am consdering, have spoken to walkinshaw here in queensland and they are waiting for ugrades to vcm suite (i think thats right) so they can also provide this, as there is 2 tuning software type packages (most common i have found) hp and vcm (please correct me if I'm wrong), cost is about $1400

Technicians have used three brands(?) to peek, tweak and fiddle under my hood I'm ashamed to admit, and every month there's more tinkering tools advertised in Hot Rod and GM High Tech Performance, etc.
AFAIK (NB I make wine for a living) the system with ongoing development of e85, m85, and p-series fuels is EFIlive, and I know certain Walkinshaw franchises are active in its development. BTW I think HP Tuners owns VCM Suite or something like that because it is the same system, so there are two main platforms, three brand names bandied about.
have to check may have been a fraction cheaper, your opinions on this ??
You mustn't have to replace any/much mechanical gear at all?
That's a bit of a shock. I'm unclear about your car and if it needs different tank and lines - but I dont think so - also flex fuel cars have upgraded fuel pump (although conflicting reports about injectors), and the flex fuel photometric device that was $1500 standalone at one point! So all that plus full custom e85 mafless dyno tune is insanely good value... be weary about hidden cost.
I'll PM you the EFIlive dude at Walkinshaw who keeps my tunes up to date.
That price? I wish I could spend just $1400 to get 6-10% (18-35rwkw your mods), say +20rwkw for easy calcs is $70/rwkw. Also depending on where and how you drive you could save $35-50/week in fuel cost.
OFC do your own calcs but for a nice upgrade and update your car will pay for itself with a grin at the bowser within the year (tell the Missus six mths).
Briso has about six Caltex with it on tap, one Soith at Granite Belt in Warwick, another north at Bundaberg but the new United at Arundel serves wicked full strength alcohol just a short deviation from the F3. P100 is a blast too and that's all the way up NSW coast, make a point of getting the real United stuff at poor old Kempsey ghost town, last e85 outta Sydney is Gosford.
at present I have tune otr exhaust etc and mine goes like a scolded cat, the difference i have found is the drivability, and i gained overall about 35kw if i remenber correctly need to find my dyno sheet (its only a number on a dyno) proof is now how it drives and worth the spend I think, so if a cashed up person is not happy with his possible gains who cares, but many a retuned commodore owner is very very pleased I know i am just my 2C worth

Nice one!

Last edited:

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
Look, thanks for the info u guys r providing me, I'm really grateful for that, but there is no need for sarcasm and flaming towards a L98 new comer.

If there is a point u would like to correct me, eg. type of fuel I really should use, or type of tune and its relative price, just enforce ur view point with its reasoning, I am more than willing to take them onboard since I'm here to learn. I do hold my own financial thresholds and expectations but again, with ur valid reasoning and persuasion, they can be altered accordingly.

On the other hand, I did quite a bit of research here on this forum before I got this car and realised that lot of ppl use 91 ron and it is just fine. I drove the car with 4 tanks of 91 ron then 4 tanks of 98 ron when I got it to test the potential power increase and extra milage, yet the there was no noticeable power gain and the fuel consumption remained the same, 12.5L/100km for where and how I drive. Hence I kept on using 91. Now please advise I really shouldn't.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Look, thanks for the info u guys r providing me, I'm really grateful for that, but there is no need for sarcasm and flaming towards a L98 new comer.

If there is a point u would like to correct me, eg. type of fuel I really should use, or type of tune and its relative price, just enforce ur view point with its reasoning, I am more than willing to take them onboard since I'm here to learn. I do hold my own financial thresholds and expectations but again, with ur valid reasoning and persuasion, they can be altered accordingly.

On the other hand, I did quite a bit of research here on this forum before I got this car and realised that lot of ppl use 91 ron and it is just fine. I drove the car with 4 tanks of 91 ron then 4 tanks of 98 ron when I got it to test the potential power increase and extra milage, yet the there was no noticeable power gain and the fuel consumption remained the same, 12.5L/100km for where and how I drive. Hence I kept on using 91. Now please advise I really shouldn't.

What you really should use is what you have been told to use in your owners manual, they don't suggest that for no reason at all but having said that its really up to you as I won't be buying your car when you upgrade and I'm sure any damage your doing wont become apparent for a few years yet.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
The manual for the L98 says to use 91. It then says using 95 or higher may provide a small improvement in performance and fuel economy.

In saying that, go for at least a 95 once you have done your mods. Your car will thank you in the long run.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
If the cost of fuel is an issue don't buy a V8 to begin with.... everyone should use the best they can all the time, that's why my car only drinks 98........

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
If the cost of fuel is an issue don't buy a V8 to begin with.... everyone should use the best they can all the time, that's why my car only drinks 98........

Agree 100% I run only 98 or e85 in saying that e85 is only 1.29 a litre but worse on fuel also more performance
As you stated if fuel is to expensive for you don't buy a v8