Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how much to tune a ssv manual?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You don't need to believe me, but I have worked for Holden as an engineer and have in many occassions worked with powertrain teams and spent plenty hours at the Holden lang lang proving grounds testing vehicles?

When I say tune the AFR down from 14.7 doesn't imply AFR is an input into tuning software... I'm trying to elude to the engineering reasons 'why' you do it, rather than 'how' or 'what' you do in softwares... I guess that's the difference between Engineers and our buddy technicians.

Engineer is such a loose term. Somebody at work is regarded as an "engineer" by his qualification and he struggles to put a coherent sentence together. You could have been working on the interior noise monitoring team for all we know. Not that i really care. I still stand by what you said in regards to your simple waving of hand over what is accessible through a tuning package.

And your backhanded criticism of technicians just wreaks of the inherent stupidity of somebody who thinks that a piece of paper makes their theoretical knowledge more useful than a practical one.

BehaveSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV E3 Tourer
Eh? Those personal comments about me aside, what's your point?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Why isn't this drug ####ed mining dipshit banned yet, my wife knows more about engines than this toss. Totally off topic.

It's dicks like this that ruin decent forums.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
yeah, people should have at least one thousand posts before they can make any posts. Two thousand if they have a different opinion.

hey al bloke, did you notice how you got bagged when you suggested the bloke sell up and get a v8 in the other thread and then the same guy that 'liked' the bagging started to argue how installing a blown v6 was a better use of time and money?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
And did you notice I didn't care that my opinion was not followed? Did you see me ruining the thread arguing over and over about how much cheaper in the long run selling the car and getting a V8 would be?

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
its ok as other op is getting the good oil now on a cold air intake.......women who love engines....pics or it never happened...

DavesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
My cars no VE but its a holden v8. Exhaust with an otr and mafless/tune makes 234.3rwkw. No cam, no blower has a mental increase in throttle response, very noticeable gain, kills shift kitted autos off the line and beats stockish ssv's (with exhausts). As for fuel economy goes has actually improved after the tune around town and long distance. Tunes are definitely worth getting if there car has the potential there :)

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
I understand how sensors work, it was covered in my 1st year of Electronics study years ago.

A reading outside the default doesn't always result in a check sensor if it doesn't consider it a fault, it may consider everything above a certain reading ok, the tuner may adjust this to have a better effect. Ie lowering the value that causes the thermo fan to kick in an attempt to reduce engine bay temps. Either way believe what you want.

I apologize to the OP for this getting away from your question.

Out if curiosity why a piggy back set up? Would a normal flash tune be suitable or do you want the ability to switch between the two?

Just a thought as with a good workshop they will often put a stock tune back in for not a lot if you don't want the custom tune. This may be cheaper in the long run.

I

Yeah this tune shop I went to is apparently known to rip ppl off as they start to get a name now... As soon as I heard it will cost me $1190 I switched off instantly. I am not a tuner but I do have a general idea of cars and modding, and for a simple tune on a street car on its factory ECU with this sort of price is a pure rip off! I was never gonna go there.

He offered this type of tune with a piggy back coz I can have 3 different settings, eg. 91 ron to 98 ron fuel, and I can switch back to stock setting if I want to. I was not interested in that set up anyway. I just want a good setting for 91 ron, and that's how my car will always run as I don't plan for cams or blowers etc.

This post has been quite informative and entertaining so far, and cheers for so many ppl chipping in for advices and experiences!!

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
And I'm telling him that if he retains his O2 sensor and MAF sensor a tune does FA,but that's only my personal EXPERIENCE. MY advice is to drive it for 6 months before a tune and compare what he's getting for his money.

Yeah I think I will put on my new extractors, cats and otr then drive it for 6 months just to feel the improvements as is, then tune it so I have an appreciation of what the tune actually increases. It makes sense and that's how I always modded my cars, 1 step at a time to feel the steps of performance increases.

However, if I do that, the new extractors will cause the Engine Light to turn on, yes? If so, would that be a problem?

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
Yeah I think I will put on my new extractors, cats and otr then drive it for 6 months just to feel the improvements as is, then tune it so I have an appreciation of what the tune actually increases. It makes sense and that's how I always modded my cars, 1 step at a time to feel the steps of performance increases.

However, if I do that, the new extractors will cause the Engine Light to turn on, yes? If so, would that be a problem?

Seriously.......WHY...?????
Tune , OTR, & exhaust should get you between 50-70rwkw.
Do it once & do it right , all at the same time.
Ask any decent Tuner & they will tell you to get a tune WHEN FITTING your mods to maximise all the gains available.