Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How possible and difficult is this?

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Haha well I didn't think of common sense when i asked that question, i've been looking at Ari's car for too long -.-.

I don't care if the best bet is to go get someone to get it done. If i wanted to do that i wouldn't of posted. If a sand back til the colour is back, then apply the spray paint it should be fine is what i'm saying. I don't want it worse than it is.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
at the end of the day,its never going to look the same if you spray it yourself with touch up paint,but its up to you... and also if there are any chips in the bumper, they WILL show up after painting over them, trust me, i had some "professional" paint my bumpers and he didint take any of the chips out the bumper and you can clearly see them from a couple of metres away...

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I don't care if the best bet is to go get someone to get it done. If i wanted to do that i wouldn't of posted.

Why say this in first post then:
If it's too much of a hassle that you think it's not worth it, let me know. But i'd rather try than pay $500 or so for a respray.

Just letting you know as asked.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
If all it needs is a sand back then a spray over to look better than it is, then it isn't too much of a hassle. I would spend a whole weekend on it if i had to, if that defines a hassle.

I wanted more ideas than straight to the "get it professionally done" if you get what I mean.

edit: If i have to pay money to fix it, i might aswell attempt at it first and if i fail get it fixed anyway. I would practice on something else first though

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
:touch up paint is usually acrylic, not 2pak
:your car has 2pak paint
:2pak isnt meant to be sprayed at home. big fines if caught
:2pak paint can kill you if you dont have the right breathing masks etc
:2pak needs to be baked to cure i believe
:the paint will need to be blended with the rest of the bumper
:you will be able to tell the difference between the acrylic touch up paint and 2pak if you sprayed part of a bumper
thats what ive been told so if im wrong,someone can correct me but as i said above,go for it though,im interested to see how it turns out :)

Aussiecv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro & VE SV6
Mate, sand it lightly with a 600 wet and dry sand paper, but dont sand it back to the black plastic. If you do sand it back to the black plastic you will need to apply a plastic primer, otherwise the new paint will just flake and fall off. Once lightly sanded (just make its as smooth as you can get it) wipe it down with a prepsol. You can get prepsol from any paint shop or even super cheap.

Once wiped down use a grey primer about 4 coats. Let this dry and give it a light sand with 1200 wet and dry sand paper. Make sure the paper is wet when sanding as it works better. If you have any small pin holes you can use a spot or knifing putty to fill them in. If you need to use the putty, let it dry, rub it back and re prime it.

Once very smooth, wipe it off with prepsol again and apply the top coat. In light of the colour you wont be able to match or blend the colour in, so plan on doing the whole bumper. It you use an areosol can, it will already have a clearcoat in it so no need to apply separately and if you do it right you wont need to sand it down to polish it.

As they say, practice makes perfect so I suggest you try something small before tackling the bumper. Plastic is a pain if you get it wrong.....

Aussiecv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro & VE SV6
Sorry mate forgot to say acrylic will be fine, once the bumper is back on the car (and its done right) you wont be able to tell the difference.

Hope this helps.