Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to beat rust?

MontieVHSL/E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 304 (injected)
my old girl is pretty sweet when it comes to the rust department but i can see signs of it starting to happen in a few places.
there is some electronic devices out there that claim to slow down/stop gthe rust prosses.
do these devices work??
whats the best way to stop the rust?
thanks

Jimboss

Reaction score
Good old fish oil is what i have been recommended to use, and i haven't had any rust come up on me, mind you, living in canberra pretty much makes the rust a non-issue.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yeh fish oil is the best and cheapest by far..... those electronic rust inhibitors only really make a difference when the car is kinda newish before the rust gets a chance to settle in

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I go against the norm here, I wont use fish oil, reason fish oil over time dries hard, for paint etc to adhere correctly to a surface it needs to be primed & preped correctly else it will crack & craze from expansion & contraction of heat & cold. Condensation & moisture will collect in theres cracks & crazes and basically rust the car from the inside out. Fish oil needs to be reapplied periodically else the above will occur.

Personally I use a product called WAXREX by Mobil you buy it in a 4L tin, its basically industrial petroleum jelly being a petrolium product it repels water & moisture. When heated it turns to a liquid, when cooled it turns to its original state. Why this is good is on a hot day it will travel into places you will never have a hope in hell of spraying any other product into.
It also seeps into body seams and travels via a capilary like method into all kinds of places.

Ok the downsides of waxrex.
On a hot day it melts excess will leake out of all kinds of weird places, I have had it come out around door locks, door handles, body seams. It looks a bit untidy when dust collects in it but is easily wiped off and wont damage paint. It will leak out through door seams etc & just needs to be wiped with a soft rag.
Next one, this can be really bad, dont let it stay on rubber for extended periods of time, depending on the type of rubber it will soften it & could cause it to be damaged easily.
I have been very happy with the results over the last 8 years, done a number of friends cars, never to see any rust appear in them.

The other product I would consider using is a lonolin basic product, I saw tests that were completed in conjunction with landline & the results were great, unprimed bare steel coated in lonolin based products were left outside next to painted, un painted etc products for a period of about 12 months after the test the one coated with lonolin was wiped down to see the steel look exactly the same as pre coating no signs of any corrosion.

cheers
Scott

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
MontieVHSL/E said:
my old girl is pretty sweet when it comes to the rust department but i can see signs of it starting to happen in a few places.
yeh i no wot u mean, im the same, been rust free til the last couple of months where i can see a bit of orange under the rear window and a little bit of rust starting under the front window, im thinking it would be better to take it to a panelbeater and get the rust cut out, that way i no its gone and then could use some of these other products to make sure nothing else happens

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
If you got patience and are up for the hard work, id go with rust converter.. depending on the job and size.. some like the boot id look at replacing.

I'm keen to hear on postive notes about the electric items.

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
Goon said:
I'm keen to hear on postive notes about the electric items.
im keen just to hear of them. What are they? how do they work?

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
yeh i dont no much about these either, would be nice 2 know

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i know this isnt the VT -VX forum but a little info for you guys

the electronic device is mounted in your engine bay (commonly) and sends and electric pulse through the metal on the car and apparantly repels rust...i have seen it on my mates work car..a BA F*RD 1 tonne ute and it has rust on the B pillar as you open the door and the car has been washed twice and spent most of it life it the warehouse at the job....

its been on since new and he has had the car since new...considering the limited water on it and the fact its in perth so moisture isnt a huge issue..its SH*T..yet to hear anything good about it.

mums vp from new had the BEAM rust proofing applied (like a paint) before picked up from dealer....not a hint of rust on the car and its 14yrs old. the paint is fading on the bonnet but no rust. LOL

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Does anyone know if using that wax stuff is any good for underneath the window rubber?