Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change your vs headlight switch to VT/VX Item

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
a 3mm led would fit for sure especially if carefully mounted to the PCB, now could the VT clear selector for the light switch simply be fitted to the VS switch housing, i'll have to make a trip out to the shed one of these days and digg around for my half assed attempt at this, so I can do a half assed version of this mod.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
a 3mm led would fit for sure especially if carefully mounted to the PCB, now could the VT clear selector for the light switch simply be fitted to the VS switch housing, i'll have to make a trip out to the shed one of these days and digg around for my half assed attempt at this, so I can do a half assed version of this mod.

mate anyways gotta be a bit simpler than what i had to go through to do it:p its all trial and error, play around with it and see what ya can come up with:thumbsup:

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
mega bump, any pics of it on at night?

monarols71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series11 Ute
Here's a picture of mine at night. Not a very good photo, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 100_1368..jpg
    100_1368..jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 714

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
nicely done man

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
i take it this can be done on a vr aswell also as i dont/cant(due to leds in my dash) use the dimmer switch will it mater what vt switch i get?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
can you just use a normal vt swict? not the spring back on as i got one of those,

Orgman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
After some mucking around I've found that you can modify the spring back version by removing the spring. It then becomes the same as the non sping back version. This is what you will need if putting into a VS.

You will need a ball bearing on both sides with a little spring. I mined mine from my old VS light switch and trimmed back the spring so it just fits.

Refer pics.

09012012014.jpg

09012012015.jpg

Orgman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
VS Headlight switch with Blue LEDs

I got inspiration from the original thread and have come up with my own version that works with Blue LED lights.

1) I routed out the hole on the VS dash surround using a jigsaw with a small blade and then used a stone attached to a drill to shave out the exact size of the hole needed.

2) I didn't shave any of the internal of the VX/VT switch as suggested by the original author of this thread and instead opted to get a piece of breadboard purchased from Jaycar and shaped it so that it fits into the VX/VT housing. I used a jigsaw and a file and a bit of patience is needed to get this to fit snuggly. Refer pics.

08012012007.jpg

08012012008.jpg

3) I purchased some blue LEDs and a 180ohm resistor and wired them up in a series circuit and put them approximately into place as per the original VX/VT lights. To get a better even spread of light you should grind the top of the LEDs so that they are flat. The wires protuding from the case needs to be connected as per the original thread.

09012012010.jpg

4) The original thread installed an extra switch so that the interior light could work. I've found that in my situation that I could make the interior light to work without installing the switch. You will need to swap the Green/White wire with the 2 Gray wires on the wiring harness. The intermediate dimmer function will not work on the VX/VT case. In my case I have Blue LEDs installed on my dash and they can not be dimmed, so the intermediate dimmer function is not needed.

09012012012.jpg

5) Here is a picture of the final product.

09012012022.jpg

Jacesv

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS HSV CLUBSPORT
I know this is an older post, but hoping someone will read this and shed some light on my idea. Both switches have the same amount of pins. since both switches have 7 pins, wouldn't it be easier to figure out which pin does what, then change them around. Im not an auto elec so Im not that good at figuring out which wire does what, but I am pretty good with moding stuff. My theory is, take a look at the VT headlight switch connector plug from the car and see what colour wire does what, then cross reference with the VS headlight connector plug from the car. Or maybe even using wiring diagrams from both cars and cross reference that way? Because the pins can be removed from the factory connector plug, (albeit tricky as buggery trying to get a needle or some such tool to pull the lock in tab that keeps the pins in place) but still can be done. and personally I believe it would be MUCH simpler doing the mod this way. So if someone who has more know how in figuring this out, could you please shed some light on which pin would go where? as this would make this mod. a lot easier I think, plus give the added advantage of not having to make a spot for the interior light (no offense but I think it looks ugly like that).