Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to detail and maintain your cars paint

Tentpeg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Comm
Hi Toey,

Ok have taken new pics as best I could, currently very overcast here in Brisbane. These pictures were taken just after I washed car so you can see the sort of condition the bonett is in. I looked online for the pads you mentioned at most of the popular auto shops near me, but couldnt find them anywhere. I will just have to use the pads that came with the machine. (pic included). I will use the compound first & see what sort of results I get. If swirls appear wil lgo grab the Meguiars Swirl remover as suggested. I watched the video you mentioned on the Car Car Product website so atleast I know the basics of the method required. The scratches on the boot must be very fine as I couldnt feel any ridge when running fingernail over them.

Will start once the car is completely dry so in a few hours I should see some resuts, hopefully.

Kr73C.jpg

TbxBI.jpg

2nFkx.jpg

ZHoyC.jpg

63PXQ.jpg

WTRzy.jpg

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
yep, you are right the bonnet does look bad. it can come back from that but will take alot of work and im not sure the polisher you have will have enough power but i could be wrong.

as for those pads i suggested, i dont think they will work with that polisher as they are a 6.5" velcro backed foam pad and i dont know how the pads attach to that polisher, is it a velcro backing plate??

if you want them pads they are not availible at any auto store, only threw specalist detailing shops, waxit have a store somewhere in brisbane but both car care products and waxit both mail out all there gear

Tentpeg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Comm
Hi Toey,

Just got back from Supercheap after deciding to get a more conventional polisher seen in most How Do videos. New polisher has velcro backing plate.

09elu.jpg

Ok, time to get started. Post any results here later. Thanks for the advice.

Tentpeg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Comm
Well after a couple of hours I must say I am pretty pleased wth the outcome. :)

Is the paint perfect now?...nope, but its appearance now is thankfully nothing like the above before photos. The scourer marks aren't obvious anymore (cant see them unless you get right up close), so I guess thats the best I can hope for. Maybe my polishing technique needs some work? The white marks in the pics are obviously chips (I do a lot of highway driving), so I guess thats the next "How Do" topic I will be looking up. Any novices like myself who may be a little dubious in giving this a try...have a go, I didnt destroy my paint..I dont think :)
Big thanks to the OP Jelly Calais and the advice from Toey. I am pretty happy !!

gQc8a.jpg

J2XkK.jpg

BpvI4.jpg

VBWGf.jpg

hraKF.jpg

alafA.jpg

N9o7q.jpg

VtsIi.jpg

ueKkI.jpg

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
looks a damn side better now :)

just need to refine it and remove the holigrams that can be seen in pic 1,2 and 5. use the finishing polish on the rotary first then do it again on the random orbital. this should see the holigrams disapper

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
waxit no longer has a shop in brisbane. dave closed up 3wks ago. but he is still on the detail paradise forum

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I didnt realise that Dave closed up. He still doing detailing ? I think they have a Melbourne store. Chem Guys Australia have Hex logic or Lake Country Pads for lowest online.

THat car came up excellent even with the super cheap auto machine. He needs more pads to work it some more.

Tentpeg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Comm
Do you suggest more compound, just the Anti Swirl or finishing polish? I covered up the larger chips on the bonett but it still has heaps of smaller ones..not sure if it is worth spending the time or just get a respray eventually.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I have a Ryobi ero750 and they are excellent. The occilation is small but the machine is quite strong. 750 watts makes up alot of it. This machine is tried and tested, cheap and an award winner as per following link. The Adams Family

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Nice How - to thread guys. This is a real education.

So for the average car that does 15-20000 k a year of mixed driving how often should it need to be polished like this ? Keep in mind i've never used one of these polishers and always seem to be able to get a decent shine with a sponge and some car wash lol, other than a few unexplained dull spots on the clear.