Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to fix these error codes..

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
hey all.. im getting a couple of error codes on my vs ss they are 31, im reading it as 36 and 72..

Code 31 - Theft Deterrent Signal missing. unsure what this means. no one tried stealing my car..

Code 36 - yes 36, i double checked this on the car and it comes up with 3 tens and 6 ones. the list of codes i have doesnt have 36 on it.
Just Commodores - For All Your Holden Commodore Needs

Code 72 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Intermittent - Auto Transmission Only.

now how do i fix these or can i just clear them and not come back?

and only a week ago i checked for codes and there were none at all except 12 which is system pass.

thanks for any help

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have a look at the VR error codes list it's mostly the same as the VS.

36 - vacuum leak

Have you unplugged anything of late of maybe changed a memcal?

Somesaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Error code 31 can just be the key battery low or not making good contact with the barrel.

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
hey thanks for the replies. nothing has been played with at all.. thats why i dont understand how these have popped up out of no where..

Somesaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Have a look around the engine and make sure no vacuum tubes have just come out or cracked open.
Old tubes need replacing if they are dry and brittle.
Clear the codes and use a spare key or a new one to start the car, then see if they come back.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Re code 72 (I assume your car is an auto, since you haven't said otherwise) check to see if you have any oil leaks that might be contaminating the VSS. Either way, a first step would be to remove the connector and clean it with circuit board cleaner spray and reconnect. Check the wiring while you are at it. Note the VSS connects at the LH rear of the trans.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The only thing all 3 faults have in common is the PCM. IT's highly improbable that you have 3 totally different faults simultaneously.......

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
how would i reset the pcm?.. just pull the engine fuse out or disconnect the battery over night?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
31 - not much to worry about, may have just been logged from a bad contact from the key at some point (unless you are having continual starting issues and/or the key won't unlock the doors remotely i wouldn't be concerned) i've seen this logged on an 04 commodore over 150 times..... the owner never really noticed any starting problems.

36 - once again nothing to be concerned about, in fact holden disabled this code in later revisions of the pcm code (I've had this randomly on a car that when i was resetting the tb butterfly due to some previous owner that had played with it) as above check for perished vac lines, fallen off vac lines, accelerator cable is adjusted correctly with some slack and not tight with the tb closed, if there are no other symptoms of a rough and/or hunting idle then don't stress.

72 - as above, check for oil contamination and also unplug it and check the contacts are clean and not corroded, if they are then clean them carefully and plug it back in, if it continues to resurface or the speedo starts acting funny then replace the vss.

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
i checked all hoses that i could see and everything looks ok.. i then checked the accelerator cable and it didnt have any slack. i loosened it off slightly and then the car wouldnt start.. so i put it back the way it was..