Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to get under the car?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
jack AND stands, hoist or ramps.

pick something.

#notsureifserious

And use the correct jacking points (i.e. diff or k-frame). DON'T use the chassis rails for jacking or jack stands.

Monocoque chassis rails are weak as piss (pretty much sheet metal) compared to their body-on-chassis counterparts.

johnmw1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Lumina
Hi everyone,
Thanks for responses. I'm at work at the moment, so can't answer in detail, but yeah I wanted to know how other people do it.

Looks like I will have to invest in some stands.

Cheers
John

skynyrd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vys ute
Jack up passenger side at jacking point, get a ring spanner on the sump bolt & give it a whack ( i usually give it a kick ). Put drain pan under sump & take out sump plug & then let let jack down. Reverse to put sump plug back in.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Jack up passenger side at jacking point, get a ring spanner on the sump bolt & give it a whack ( i usually give it a kick ). Put drain pan under sump & take out sump plug & then let let jack down. Reverse to put sump plug back in.

never work under a car with just a jack, it's dangerous and stupid. Always jack it up and then put a stand under it.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Please don't service your own car if you no idea how to even get under it.....

Pay someone, before you hurt yourself

He's trying to learn the basics of servicing, shouldn't bit his head off for asking. We all aren't lucky enough to have a car nut in our family or know one so here is the best place to gain some great knowledge, and that means asking dumb questions to get an idea of the do/dont's.

If he jumped under the car just a jack holding it up, then sure, criticize him and show him how he should be doing it. Don't immediately say to him that he's stupid and should get someone else to do it, tell him how it's done and pass on your knowledge.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
never work under a car with just a jack, it's dangerous and stupid. Always jack it up and then put a stand under it.

Smart advise....When I was younger, I made the stupid mistake of jacking the car up and not putting a jack stand underneath, because I wasn't going to be underneath it for long.....15 stitches to the face and extremely lucky to keep my eye site in the left eye was the end result.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I still think it's not hard to reach under a VE to change the oil without raising it on a jack.

If for some reason it is, just drive near side up onto the gutter to give more room, and no jacking up.

skynyrd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vys ute

Whoops, don't forget the jack