Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to identify 4.2 stroker?

HSVBT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
He claims the engine has approx 60,000kms on it, that would make it at least two if not three years old, I know I don't have any receipts from three years ago, do you? In the last three years I have bought three cars and I have spent some big $ on one or two of them. F**k me if I could find one receipt. I know it is a lot of money, but I spent $3000 doing cam and head work on my old vr 2 yrs ago, I don't have receipts for that work, and I couldn't for the life of me prove it had been done without pulling the motor apart and showing a buyer. Luckily, I sold it to my sister who didn't give a s**t what had been done to the car, she just likes that the windows are tinted!

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
He claims the engine has approx 60,000kms on it, that would make it at least two if not three years old, I know I don't have any receipts from three years ago, do you? In the last three years I have bought three cars and I have spent some big $ on one or two of them. F**k me if I could find one receipt. I know it is a lot of money, but I spent $3000 doing cam and head work on my old vr 2 yrs ago, I don't have receipts for that work, and I couldn't for the life of me prove it had been done without pulling the motor apart and showing a buyer. Luckily, I sold it to my sister who didn't give a s**t what had been done to the car, she just likes that the windows are tinted!

yes. ive got every reciept from every part ive bought for my current car, ive got a folder especially for that.
he sure has racked up some k's on the engine, if this is a c.o.m.e. ecotec stroker (which i think it pretty much has to be - i dont know anyone else that does a 4.2L stroker crank for the ecotec) and by your calculations he should have had the car for 2-3yrs, which makes me even more skeptical as the c.o.m.e. stroker cranks didnt come out untill mid '05.
im not trying to piss you off mate, just stating that it seems a bit unusual...if i were you id be putting this car on a dyno to see what hp it makes before buying it - it should be making at least 200hp.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
There is a method used by race officials of measuring manifold vacuum that allows them to calculate the displacement of an engine, but I don't know how they do it unfortunately.

I would NOT believe it was a stroker without some proof like a receipt, dyno chart, etc as he might be pulling this out of his backside to bump the price up.

On the other hand, you might be able to push the price down to what you'd pay for a normal unmodified VS and then get a pleasant surprise later :D

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Got another possibility...

you could take out one spark plug, rotate the engine by hand so that cylinder is at bottom dead centre, fill the cylinder with oil, rotate the engine so that cylinder is at top dead centre, and measure how much oil comes out. That'll give you the volume of one cylinder.

Less than optimal suggestion obviously, but if it comes to that it comes to that!

HSVBT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
I seem to think you guys are right, it all seems fishy, you know? I am going to have a look at it tonite anyway, because it does look like a nice car, but we'll see. I'll let you know what I think after I testdrive it. cheers

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
You can get a guage that you insert in a spark plug hole. The police use them here in Vic.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Ask him where/when he had the work done and talk to them see if they have record of it. Then also see if they had the engine number to make sure it wasn't swapped

redvr

adam
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
even if he has a recipt you dont know if its rof that motor! i bought a mini a few years ago and it has $$$$$ worth of recipts with it but hey it was crap!!
TAKE IT FOR A DRIVE

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
race it!!! then you'll know!!!!