Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install a chrome shifter button in your VT/VX

madcat vxs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S Pack
awesome thread, was not as hard as i thought, added instant class to the interior, what would we do without the grease monkey girls :)))

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Just a tip to help re installing the shifter, and that annoying pin which has to go back in.

I found that a piece of wire (coathanger did the job) which is big enough to fit inside the pin can be slid in the hole on the shifter. This keeps the shifter in place. Then place the pin over the wire, slide it down and push it in place with a screwdriver. Less than five minutes, and can be done without help!

Shippy294

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Equipe VXII Acclaim Wagon
Button popped out of shifter

The button popped out of the top of my shifter. Its still attached to the spring and still depresses when I want to change gear. Obviously I need to replace the button and I am guessing some sort of retainer that must have broken.
Undid the screw and the shifter and button just lifted out. Do I still have to remove the console etc if I just need to replace the button. I am not sure what part has broken and what I need to replace.

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
Just a tip to help re installing the shifter, and that annoying pin which has to go back in.

I found that a piece of wire (coathanger did the job) which is big enough to fit inside the pin can be slid in the hole on the shifter. This keeps the shifter in place. Then place the pin over the wire, slide it down and push it in place with a screwdriver. Less than five minutes, and can be done without help!
yea that pin is the hard part, i just lined it up, made sure it sat straight and hit it with a hammer, but your way is more civilised :)
The button popped out of the top of my shifter. Its still attached to the spring and still depresses when I want to change gear. Obviously I need to replace the button and I am guessing some sort of retainer that must have broken.
Undid the screw and the shifter and button just lifted out. Do I still have to remove the console etc if I just need to replace the button. I am not sure what part has broken and what I need to replace.
if your button is just hanging out the top like mine and you can move through the gears without having to push the button then you will need to replace the pin which will require the console pulled apart, it is not a big job, just fiddley. the only hard part is putting the pin back in, newo's idea of putting the pin back in sounds like a good method

Micho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss commodore 5.7L s2
Hey there, anyone know how to install an aftermarket tacho in a vt ss commodore s2 im having trouble locating the tacho signal wire?

pottsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Acclaim Wagon
Thanks for the instructions. Any change of re-uploading the pictures? The don't seem to be available anymore on the server they were uploaded to.

Cheers!

Peter O'Keefe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hi Julie

Thanks for your info.

My shifter button "plastic stem" had sheared off at the pin. I got up to Step 6 with no problem.

I then, foolishly, tried to pull the stem out through the top. It jammed inside and broke off. I then undid the screw holding the "fabric hand grip" and couldn't budge it. Any ideas of how to remove that grip? I thought of cutting it away and buying a new one.

Have you any other ideas for me?

Regards from Peter.

ps: I found the top spring alright but then found a much smaller spring with the broken lower end of the plastic stem and the retaining pin all together in a small heap. Do you know where the smaller spring goes? Peter

dth: 500"]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Step 3.
Undo the screw on the back of the gear lever.

post-19-1093699324.jpg

Step 4.
Look underneath the shifter surround on the passenger side and you will see the shaft for the shifter, if you push the button down you will be able to see the pin. Use a pin pusher or something similar (I used a skinny screwdriver) to remove the pin (this is easy just give it a couple of taps with a hammer).

post-19-1093699515.jpg

Step 5.
Once the pin is out you will be able to remove the shifter (just a simple case of lifting it up), take the old shifter button out along with the spring. Now put the spring into the new button and place it where the old one was. Now put the shifter back.

post-19-1093699903.jpg

Step 6.
You will need to hold the button down to replace the pin (it helps to have an extra pair of hands now), lubricate the pin and now put it back in (this can be a bit tricky, I used a hammer and a metal rod)

Step 7. Reverse the procedure for removing all the plastic bits to reinstall them.

Step 8. You are now finished, sit back and enjoy looking at a classier interior.

Step 9. Off to holden to buy the matching chrome handbrake button if you havent already! (don’t worry fitting this is a piece of piss compared to the shift button)

before:

post-19-1093700270.jpg

and after......

post-19-1093700406.jpg

Well thats it, if you need to know anything else, just pm me. :)