Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to Jack up your car and put it on Safety Stands

dutchysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu S II
great write up. just curious how you would go about putting the front and back on stand at the same time, so the whole cars raised? i can do one, but arent sure when it comes to the other, i keep thinking its gonna push the car forward and tip the stands over.

jethrot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
Thanks for the clear and practical information. Sometimes I get lazy and just put the wheel I have taken off under the sill of the vehicle. Putting stands in the correct positions is a far better idea as you suggested.

To reduce picture size download free Google Picasa, let it find all your photos, then choose the one (ones) you want smaller, click the file menu, click the export to folder menu item, accept all the defaults (change nothing) click export and picasa will do the job and open the folder with the very much smaller pictures in it ready for you to use.

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
Hi. Great thread.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the entire car off the ground? I am a little reluctant to do so without some proper instruction. My initial thoughts are to use ramps on the front and then safety stands for the back. It would also be handy to be able to get the car onto four stands if you have to work on all four wheels etc. however, being aware of the safety issues I thought I would ask the experts.

"E1 Clubby R8 when only an 8 will do!"

VP-Hero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
As for getting all four off the ground metester,
Ive done it with my mate in the vp you see in the pic, had a nice thick slab of concrete in the garage though, pretty much level.
It can go bad heh, as someone above mentioned , while jacking up the oppisite end the other end on the jack stands is prone to shifting,
I learnt the hard way, me mate was jacking up the front after the rear was placed on custom made 100mm x 100mm jack stands I made at work, we chose the thick hooks at the rear to sit them on....
Well the car somehow almost came off one of the 100mm wide x 100mm wide stands, somehow started sliding off it with its 10mm wide hook it only had another 6mm to go to fall off. after being placed in the center (it travelled 40mm while jackin the front end up, and i had to say WOAH WOAH WOAH, and "Check this sh*t out!!"

And he stopped jackin it up and came around the back and was like, "man thats close."
I think its all because we were jacking from all four sides and not directly in the middle of the car , but as i said be careful.
doing it all again, i'd have the handbrake on full, transmission in first gear on manual, or Park on auto.
Jack the front up support on stands either side on the chassis rails, then jack the rear up at the diff slowly and dead centered and place the stands on the hooks myself, cant see any other spot to place them that can take a lot of load but i havent had a commodore very long and dont go under it at all. Take care, and remember to use back up measures like spare wheels on a few blocks of wood or something.

MY old man has been saved by a few spare tyres stacked on top of each other in the past, gave him 1 inch of head room to squeeze out or something but still saved his life. So yeah try that method, two spares stacked on each other , then slid under for a fail safe measure.

I like your car ramps for the front idea, its alot quicker and safer

Last edited:

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
Cheers VP-hero. I am going to make some blocks from sleepers as a safety measure. A couple of things I have learnt from this thread are don't blindly trust your equipment regardless of how good it is and always keep an eye on all points even if they appear to have settled. Now I appreciate why dad would kick my arse as a kid if I ever went near him working under his car!

"E1 Clubby R8 when only an 8 will do!"

VP-Hero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
Np, i was just under it this afternoon until 8:30pm changing out the tail shaft, jacked the diff up and put two supercheap pin stands under the hooks and lowered it back down, diff came all the way to the ground again, i had them on the 3rd hole, haha, nightmare. It didnt even roll forward while jackin her up.
Even with the car on two pin stands i had one side i was hanging my torso out of holding tension with the trolley jack, I miss my car ramps, they are back in W.A , Let me just add that holden needs a bullet for A> having the exhaust running under one of the centre bearing mounts, and B> for having the handbrake cable gear running under the centre bearing mount. What the F*!*K !!!!! cost me an extra hour of fiddling around being careful, damn i miss the r31 skylines already !!!!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I would never have my car on 4 stands. Would be fairly easy to come down if jerking the car around try to undo a bastard bolt.

Ramps and stands or nothing. If you can't afford ramps, make some out of some pine sleeper.

VP-Hero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
I would never have my car on 4 stands. Would be fairly easy to come down if jerking the car around try to undo a bastard bolt.
Haha, very true, although if you had welded say a huge 400+ mm x 400+ mm heavyduty (3mm or more thick sheetmetal) base for the stands along with a large centre pipe stand with diagonal bracings, kinda like mine site flooring grating for a base rimmed with flatbar to stop the flex and 5mm thick handrail pipe with 5mm diagonal flat bar braces x 4 it would be hard for the stand to topple over so easily, but with the supercheap versions and such of car stands , your correct, its risky business and / or an accident waiting to happen. Just thought id note with a larger base its physically harder to topple over, and again , my heavy duty stands are back in W.A , F*!K ---------- F#@K !! --------- F*)K !!!

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
My stands don't sit snug on the chassis rails on the VS, unlike the VY where the chassis rails are not as wide. Don't really feel safe putting the stands U shaped top on a flat surface, feels like it could slip if it was rocked hard enough. Any other suggestions on where to put my stands? I'm going to be changing the diff mount bush and all shocks, and all front end bushes. I've only got two stands so where's the safest place to put them in the front and rear when I'm working on this?