Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Make 6.0 LS Power!

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I don't mind watching some of Richard Holdener's before and after dyno results on youtube.

A heap of LS runs and comparisons over a long period of time.

Mostly he's focused on peak power and torque. For me, street drivability needs to be taken into account rather than peak numbers.

That said, interesting stuff all the same. Here's today's....

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
years ago i did a lot of research on cams(dynamic compression main thought) and put a 224/244 cam in my VE 6l. Big split yes but the intake valves are so big the exhaust needs so much help.

Tough sounding cam but very drivable and would pull harder than a 15yrs old to redline.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
A got a little 223 228 114, pac valves springs, titanium pushrods and a trunnion bush upgrade for my LS1 when I did the streetable NA thing when I first got it, very drivable as you would expect, it still needed a little stall, 2800, to not want to pull at lights when in gear

It still works well enough with a PB with the unopened LS1 that still has the stock shift points, it makes a easy 500hp at the wheels and pulls like a train from idle

It has a nice little lope on idle as well running through 1 7/8 4:1, 3" to 4" single with a resonator and rear box, not to loud cruising around, no drone, but, sounds like war at WOT

If I knew I was going PB I would have probably picked a different cam and just upgraded the valve springs, push rods and trunnions

The car perfectly suits my needs of a comfortable quite (ish) cruiser that you can sit in comfortably on the hwy (the Mrs falls asleep within 10 minutes), sit it peak hour traffic for an hour without wanting to kill yourself or orhers around you, or hit the drags for some night time fun

Having a quite cruiser was high on the priority list, I've lived with grumpy drone, loud cars before, and whilst they sound good for the first 10 minutes, after 20 minutes they do your head in

Also, as I've said before, grumpy camed and loud cars are fun, unless you are cruising on the hwy or hit any traffic, then they suck balls

When building a car you need to look at the whole package to suit your needs, from the cooling system at the front to the tailpipe

My advice is to get a big white board and start planning every mod, cooling, engine, transmission, tailshaft, diff, driveshafts, brakes, wheels and tyres

Base every upgrade on the power you want, then head out from the engine to support that power that the engine will throw at it, don't forget to add in safety factor to reliability

Even then, budget in overspend and possible breakages

No point in making big power on the dyno if you constantly break parts

Whilst cars are fun, they can be a biatch

Pro tip: always have a backup daily, a slush fund, and a tilt tray on speed dial

Reactions: Lex