Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How-to: Make a Diagnostic cable for your VN/VP Commodore

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
id also be interested in buying a VN/VP cable, im in perth and i read one of you who made them was also in perth

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
with this cable i understand you can tune the car do you still need a memcal or not?
or is it possible to "hard tune" with this cable?

PREDATR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 355 Turbo, VN Calais 5L, VE SII SV6 Wag, Mirage
Does anyone on here still make the VN-VP Cables in USB or serial i want to buy one...

VN4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN exe VP exe
Just as an aside..... The latest version of WinALDL 1.09f now has an extra 10 com port settings so for 20 bucks or so you can buy an DB9 type RS232 to USB adaptor which comes with software to get serial(rs232) into a laptop which only has a USB input. The software usually assigns com11 to the adaptor hence the change to WinALDL to add more ports (up to 14).
If you're not getting data in check you're looking at the diag plug the right way around. ie mirror all your connections and see if that works. check com port is the right one. I use baud 2400. When the 10k resistor is connected and ign is on the engine warning light will flicker continuously. Data will flow even if the engine is not running.

Some of the flag data in the software is reverse of what it should be. ie trans overtemp always ticked when it should be the other way around etc.

pokenochief

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
is it possible to make one for a 1998 vt holden acclaim? what sort of costs can I expect?
I rang Boxstop Automatics in Woodridge Brisbane and they said $45 to scan. I would much rather make it myself and use it as many times as I like.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2

speedyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim Wagon
ok I have nearly all the bits to make this cable (I'm waiting on the super cheap auto iso Toyota connector which is an order only item) and so you guys know aparently the standard for jaycar (dont know if its everywhere) is you cannot get the 10k resistors in 1/4 watt the nearest was 1/2 watt (the metal ones).

Also can anyone comfirm if the jaycar usb to db9m RS-232 Converter cable is suitible? Reading some of this thread tells me that for best results you need one that has some FTDI chip in it to work. Not all those cables work?

Thanks

rileyp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp
hmm not bad...
I just chopped the cord of an old serial mouse, ripped apart an old computer psu for resistors and a high school electronics project from 22 years ago for a bc 548b transistor. soldered it all together and hey presto it works!
Thanks to everyone involved...
Btw instead of using the special auto connector plug I just soldered rs232 plug pins to the end of the cable and plugged them in individually.(I don't recommend anyone else doing this though as if you plug the pins the wrong way you just may cook your ecu perhaps.)
It took a couple of hours to build wading through my shed for the parts/checking on the net the data sheet for the transistor/checking resistor color codes etc as I don't do this sort stuff often (Im a sparky and I reckon I soldered every joint 3 times before I built it correctly and was ready to test.
1st time wrong resistors colors after double checking.
2 nd time my original hand sketch of the drawing was missing a wire (bloody printer out of ink)and 3rd time (Id realized I needed a female rs232 not male!)it all looked good and so I plugged it in...

It works perfectly.
I don't intend using it often so I don't mind taking my time to get the connections right.
My car( VP v6) seems to be running a bit rich on idle .
No alarms are coming up in diagnostic mode or in adl mode.
Is there anywhere I can post a screenshot of all the raw values for someone to perhaps diagnose what may be the issue?
many thanks
Rileyp