Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6
Hi Folks I'm wanting to order some bits from Rock Autos for my 1991 VN Commodore 3.8L V6 which is a series 1 motor. I struggle to know what Buick models are compatible but I discovered that when I have the correct GM part number the Rock Autos search engine takes me to the right part. Does anyone have all the part numbers for this motor or is there any other easier way, like which Buick model is identical. My local Holden dealer keeps bugger all now,obviously,for this motor and unwilling to assist with giving out part numbers.
Any advice would be great.
Regards Malc

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq caprice v8 vq v8 vs ss man
Yeah good luck with that as i have found many of the part numbers are holden only or there isnt a cross reference guide jad a hell of a time trying to work out an oil filter for a vr ute a mate has state side the americans dont use the z154 reference like we do
turns out k and n use the same part numbers world wide so from that we worked out a replacent
As for what i do know is a vn s1 is a ln3 s2 is a l27 most of the bolt ons pipes hoses manifolds looms computers ect are aus only to suit rwd as by the time we got it in 88 89 it was pretty much only a fwd engine only in the us however the buick grand national 85 86 87 or so is the same engine as our vn s1 came out in a bunch of other us cars but the grand national is a good starting point
L27 engines have larger cam bearings and crank bearings and some other internal changes cant remeber all of them but some stuff can be swapped some stuff cant

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I occasionally see the original VN/VP/VQ part number books available on old fashioned microfiche. I don't think GMH ever digitized the part numbers.

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6
Yeah good luck with that as i have found many of the part numbers are holden only or there isnt a cross reference guide jad a hell of a time trying to work out an oil filter for a vr ute a mate has state side the americans dont use the z154 reference like we do
turns out k and n use the same part numbers world wide so from that we worked out a replacent
As for what i do know is a vn s1 is a ln3 s2 is a l27 most of the bolt ons pipes hoses manifolds looms computers ect are aus only to suit rwd as by the time we got it in 88 89 it was pretty much only a fwd engine only in the us however the buick grand national 85 86 87 or so is the same engine as our vn s1 came out in a bunch of other us cars but the grand national is a good starting point
L27 engines have larger cam bearings and crank bearings and some other internal changes cant remeber all of them but some stuff can be swapped some stuff cant
Hi MikeCaprice
Thanks for the reply its appreciated.
Yep its an uphill battle and I need to find a compliant parts guy who will let me look over the files and somehow don't think that's going to happen. However thanks for the information about the Buick Grand National 85-87 that's really helpful.
Thanks once again and have a good week. Cheers Malc

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6
I occasionally see the original VN/VP/VQ part number books available on old fashioned microfiche. I don't think GMH ever digitized the part numbers.
Thanks MikeC for your reply its appreciated. Yeah from talking to the Holden parts guide He said that they aren't digitalised. Cheers Malc

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I looked into it and pretty much gave up. If you succeed well done. I found that some of the Aust updates had already happened years earlier in the US. Therefore I never chanced it.

Dodgy Malc

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore 3.8 V6
I looked into it and pretty much gave up. If you succeed well done. I found that some of the Aust updates had already happened years earlier in the US. Therefore I never chanced it.
Thanks for the reply and yeah I think like you I am resigned to not getting anywhere. However I do have a Holden contact that I have asked to assist, fingers crossed cheers Malcolm

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe try using the block part number cast into the side 920xxxxxxxxx as the blocks where all cast in the US and from my understanding the s1 engines where assembled in the US so they would use US parts and part numbers so in theory some one some where may have a parts list used on the s1 engines the sump oil pick up oil filter adapter inlet and exhaust manifolds will likely be different to vn ones as most of the s1 relations are fwd or like the buick regal are lhd so the exhaust manifolds would likely be different to suit the body and steering being lhd same with some if the front bolt ons

Mikecaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have a read of this hopefully one of the block part numbers correlates to the s1 or s2 and from there maybe find a parts catalogue for them