Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to push the highest numbers on an NA 3.8L Ecotec

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This might be part of the problem with our ecotec,
file.php

The intake runner is very small in cross section, boost doesn't care so much but it'll hurt n/a.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
This might be part of the problem with our ecotec,
file.php

The intake runner is very small in cross section, boost doesn't care so much but it'll hurt n/a.
What is it? I know intake. Looks like n/a with the plenum & lower intake runners cut of?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's the bottom of the LIM on our ecotec with the runners cut off.

The thinking is small long runners for good air speed at low rpm for economy and emissions but not great for max power, kinda like the banana's on the 304.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's the bottom of the LIM on our ecotec with the runners cut off.

The thinking is small long runners for good air speed at low rpm for economy and emissions but not great for max power, kinda like the banana's on the 304.
My thinking as well.

I've been planning on doing the exact thing. But with a turbo.
Been sick since the end of June. Went to the doc today.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
but not great for max power
How often are you at maximin rpm? Basically if you ever do get there, its either time to change gear or its time to brake.
Edit. this is more about city driving.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think the go is a decent condition Eco, few bolt ons, and a Raptor. Spending $7k or more on an engine and not breaking 200kw, it's just not bang for buck. Wack a Raptor on for $5k and you can have 10 $400 Ecos in shed if you want. Eco will handle the Raptor no problem and last a good while.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
How often are you at maximin rpm? Basically if you ever do get there, its either time to change gear or its time to brake.
Edit. this is more about city driving.

Yup. The manifold is good for it's intended purpose but lacking when you want to start making real power n/a. A better option would be the L26 ( the last evolution/version of the 3800 V6 motors in the US) alloy banana style intake manifold which puts the throttle body at the front of the motor but then moves the thermostat to the back like you have with the L67 motors. Will also probably need to modify the alternator bracket as it may foul.

file.php

file.php

I also believe the LIM will need slight modding as it will hit the timing cover, on the US engines the TB actually faces backwards (over the flywheel) as the engine is mounted east-west for FWD configuration.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Take a look at this 1000hp Ecotec:

And this guy who's owns a Twin Turbo Ecotec: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDQ5ZSuFwpSJdrhbXg4XbpQ/videos (He's now dumped an Ecotec in an E46 3 Series lol)

Truthfully, the only way to get modest power out of these is with forced induction, but it won't come cheap and you won't get loads of extra power...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
just curious to see how much I could push before breaking it.
Read Gilbs thread - https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/gilbs-custom-vs.47660/
For those that have been around a while it used to be a blue VS.

That thread is pretty much what you're going to be able to achieve with it still being somewhat streetable (there's even a PB on the quarter). The other important thing to remember too is that 217kw is all made up top. You can put an absolutely huge cam in it but your doors may be blown off by an Excel at the lights.

If you want to look at what the limits of that platform are N/A, just go have a look at a Formula Holden engine. It's not really a mystery as to what the limits are, they broke them all the time. The big issue with going N/A is that you need to rev to make power (AFAIK they used the biggest cam the V6 could take), something a 2 valve per cylinder pushrod engine doesn't really like to do (and the only reason some LSs do is because of the plentiful aftermarket available to them and their heads). It's the RPM needed that will kill it, not so much the power/torque. This also makes the benefits of a stroker for this particular application debatable, and why some people will destroke engines.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'd be willing to basically change anything short of the block;
There's also a hand dandy video that came out not long ago. It's a Buick but with that much modification the difference to an Ecotec would probably not be much. Remember that chassis is also under 700kg.

Last edited: