Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to push the highest numbers on an NA 3.8L Ecotec

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
Really making me miss my old VY. N/A with all of the bolt ons, bottom end rebuild and stroked. 12.8 was my best pass. That was running on 91 though
Yea mine was on 98, but when I do mine again will be with e85 or a good race type unleaded. Start putting more comp into it an larger camshaft

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Yea mine was on 98, but when I do mine again will be with e85 or a good race type unleaded. Start putting more comp into it an larger camshaft
the hardest thing to get into an engine is air, the more u can get in the more power u make as we all know so using e85 adds ~34% more air with the fuel so its easy power esp if u have good compression, just using a racing petrol fuel dosnt add any more air so its only adder is some knock resistance, e85 will not knock

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
the hardest thing to get into an engine is air, the more u can get in the more power u make as we all know so using e85 adds ~34% more air with the fuel so its easy power esp if u have good compression, just using a racing petrol fuel dosnt add any more air so its only adder is some knock resistance, e85 will not knock
Depends what petrol you use! Fuels like ETS xpd105 has alot of oxygenation in it so has the benifits if you choose the right petrols

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Depends what petrol you use! Fuels like ETS xpd105 has alot of oxygenation in it so has the benifits if you choose the right petrols
about 8% so its like e10 or 10% ethanol added to a race fuel, if ur doing high loaded runs then just adding toluene helps alot for the mon rating

VYCommodore76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commy
There is a reason people say put a V8 in it or turbo it. It is because those of us with age and experience can see it is a stupid thing to waste your money on and will only leave you disappointed with the results. Instead of pushing ahead with a fools errand maybe listen to the voice of reason.

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
about 8% so its like e10 or 10% ethanol added to a race fuel, if ur doing high loaded runs then just adding toluene helps alot for the mon rating
After all our testing on our dyno with our drag race Chevy, some of the petrols are prity good compared to e85... We tested between methanol an ETS (methanol is roughly 34%oxgenating) an come out better with the xps105 on peak hp. Outright oxygenating isn't everything in fuels... The good but with e85 is its cooling with a street engine or boosted. If you can keep the heat soak out of the engine go back to petrol

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
There is a reason people say put a V8 in it or turbo it. It is because those of us with age and experience can see it is a stupid thing to waste your money on and will only leave you disappointed with the results. Instead of pushing ahead with a fools errand maybe listen to the voice of reason.
Depends what the Op wants to achieve, the na V6 isn't the easiest engine to get semi quick if his goal is to get a decent street car....